Fly Tying

BT's or for touch dubbing try a glue stick from the office supply store.

A tip I got from an AK Best book..... Buy a new toilet bowl wax ring at the hardware store and put it into a bunch of pill bottles or hook containers and you will have a lifetime supply for a couple of bucks. It's the wax I use most.

A tip I got from an AK Best book..... Buy a new toilet bowl wax ring at the hardware store and put it into a bunch of pill bottles or hook containers and you will have a lifetime supply for a couple of bucks. It's the wax I use most.

:rolleyes: uhhhh sure am glad I am not the only one doing that :lol: Mine hangs on the wall above my desk so I can reach up and touch it when needed...

rockworm's special blend

Riff whats that formula. I tryed to search it but got nothing. I have the toilet ring and Wapsi but I would like to try that.

Kevin

How tacky is the wax ring for touch dubbing?

The Swax is more of a goo than a wax but it is great for touch dubbing, for making a rope I just use the Wapsi on my fingers.

rockworm's special blend

Riff whats that formula. I tryed to search it but got nothing. I have the toilet ring and Wapsi but I would like to try that.

Kevin

Kevin

I have been experimenting with natural materials like beeswax, various rosins, lanolin, pine tars, oils, etc to make a spectrum of tying waxes. I have a Light Dubbing Wax for regular use, a Dark Dubbing Wax for patterns like Greenwells Glory where you want to darken the silk, a Whipping Wax for whip-finishing, and a Sticky wax for hard-to-dub materials like mature seal. I have recently been working on a formula for touch-dubbing, which I shared with interested FTF members last autumn. I received some valuable feedback from them and hope to continue my search for the perfect formula this spring.

The only thing wrong with toilet bowl wax is it's so dark. It's beeswax. You can add glycerine to beeswax and it makes it tackier.

I have used that beeswax they sell for chapped lips, and it's fine. Handy, too. Regular Chapstick works. I use the stuff in the orange container (can't think of the name) and nailed the top to my desk so I don't have to look for it. It's real sticky.

"uhhhh sure am glad I am not the only one doing that Mine hangs on the wall above my desk so I can reach up and touch it when needed..."

I used to use one as a oicture frame, just taking the wax when I needed it. Then I got married.

Rockworm - I somehow picture your wax operation as a "mad scientist" kind of thing. :blink: I use your waxes, and am very pleased with them. I do a lot of touch dubbing using the dark wax. Would be real interested in seeing what you come up with.

Rockworm - I somehow picture your wax operation as a "mad scientist" kind of thing. :blink: I use your waxes, and am very pleased with them. I do a lot of touch dubbing using the dark wax. Would be real interested in seeing what you come up with.

Go ahead and call me the Dr Frankenstein of dubbing wax. My wax operations, as you call them, can leave my house smelling of beeswax and frankencense. Or can leave it reeking of smoked ham. My most recent "monster" is a beautifully soft, sticky and dark-coloured wax- perfect for touch dubbing. But since it has a high concentration of Stockholm tar it smells like a smokehouse. I have grown quite fond of its fragrance- it reminds me of campfires and peaty single malt. I don't know how fish will react to this! But I hope to find out as soon as the ice is out of the rivers here!

I have 2 tubes of Overtons Wonder wax. This should be a lifetime supply for me, use wax very little.

carlp

Just one tube will last a non-commercial tyer a lifetime, and that's if he starts tying in his early twenties. I've had my tube for 10 years now, and just the very top edges are a little worn since I don't use it much either. I use one side for colored thread and the other for white and light colored threads. I don't think that I've even tried raising it yet to expose more of the wax. It's no wonder they don't make it anymore. They probably sold a big bunch at first and then sales came to a screeching halt when everyone had enough and didn't buy or need anymore. The holy grail of tying wax.

Regards,

Mark