Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hopper John

Foam Poppers

Just wondered if anyone besides me like tying foam poppers for smallies and largemouths. I even tie them for gills. I like working with foam.

Hopper John

post-23-1103072490.jpg

I played around last spring w/some foam damsel flies......they didn't turn out too bad, though I thought of some ways to improve on them this winter. I actually went out and bought a bunch of different colors of foam, but other than the damsels, haven't played w/it too much......i am looking forward to doing more work with the foam though.

Mike

I have been playing with foam a little lately. It's kinda fun!!

Wayne

That was a bad site!! laugh.gif You got me thinking again!! Seriously! That was an excellent site. Some neat tools.

BFR

H.J.,

I just looked at my Tyer of the Year entries, and I counted four ot of foam. Northeast Louisiana is an equal distance away from the Gulf Coast and Arkansas trout.

So I haven't had the fundage for either on short trips, so I stick to panfish and largemouth. Although I don't catch ice chests full of either, I usually toss something with foam at them.

Hi Ya'll

I have a little bit of energy to spare so I thought I'd say howdy. About three years ago I really got into tying foam and I gotta tell ya I haven't found anything since that will beat it as far as durability and cheapness. It is easy to work with and as far a being creative with it, I doubt there's a end to it. I've started working on sinking flies using open cell foam. Can't wait to see where that's going to go. Skip Morris has done a lot with foam. I tied up and used some of Morris's Predators last spring and they worked great for gills and trout. I figure, if he can do it so can I. What the heck, maybe someday I'll write me a book on it and get famous and rich.

Later

Hopper John

I started tying foam last spring and have had the most fun with it. I tyed up some full body foam with rubber legs and the 'gills tore everyone of them to shreds, but not before I took the ones I wanted for the table. hehehe

Been getting really creative this winter with different patterns and will let 'yall know how they turn out.

River Road Creations (riverroadcreations.com) has some excellent foam and wing cutters for trout, bass, saltwater, etc. The photo below shows one of patterns made from the STP Frog Cutter. The beetle cutters are nice for small to large beetle bodies. They have a tie in tag.

user posted image

Here is few beetles using the Beetle Cutter...Chunky Beetles

Sincerely,

Mad Scientist

user posted image

I just tied my first ever fly last night. I tied a popper as it is larger and I thought it might be easier to start with. It is somewhat lame looking but I look forward to tying some more.