Fly Tying
shoebop

Kayaks & Flyfishing

Everyone's advice has been extremely helpful. It seems that a kayak (in whatever form) is the better option for alot of different fishing styles and places. Thanks everyone for your input. Chris

Just to offset all the Wilderness recommendations I will toss out the Ocean Kayak Trident series. I have the 13 footer with the Mod Pod which i am very happy with, I added an anchor trolley last year and need to work on a stripping basket this spring.

There are a ton of good fishing kayaks out there, just have to find the right one for you.

With all due respect to the post that says you don't need a trolling motor mount or a pedal system, I will repectfully disagree. There are many applications where both can prove beneficial. Do you "need" it, of course not. Can it augment some of your angling applications...of course it can. If you need to make a ten mile paddle fast because the bite window is narrow, a pedal yak is hugely faster than one paddled. If you want to fish your way upstream, a trolling motor is critical. Without one you are either anchored or adrift which can be extremely limiting. I use mine about 25% of the time I'm in my yak but when I use it I "need" it. As you can see we yakers are passionate about our boats and how we outfit them. The only thing you can really do wrong is drown so don't do that. Buy a boat and modify it to suit you and how you fish. All of the ideas and opinions I've read on this thread including my own are individual opinions and you know what they say about opinions!

With all due respect to the post that says you don't need a trolling motor mount or a pedal system, I will repectfully disagree. There are many applications where both can prove beneficial. Do you "need" it, of course not. Can it augment some of your angling applications...of course it can. If you need to make a ten mile paddle fast because the bite window is narrow, a pedal yak is hugely faster than one paddled. If you want to fish your way upstream, a trolling motor is critical. Without one you are either anchored or adrift which can be extremely limiting. I use mine about 25% of the time I'm in my yak but when I use it I "need" it. As you can see we yakers are passionate about our boats and how we outfit them. The only thing you can really do wrong is drown so don't do that. Buy a boat and modify it to suit you and how you fish. All of the ideas and opinions I've read on this thread including my own are individual opinions and you know what they say about opinions!

Thanks. You hit it on the head there! It seems as though the kayak is extremely versatile and can be outfitted to suit your personal needs and can change with you as you change. A pretty good attribute if you ask me.

It will likely take a season of kayaking to figure out what you really want as far as bells and whistles. The best advice I ever got was to start out simple, because you have to learn to handle your boat effectively to fish effectively.

depending on your jusridiction, adding a motor of any kind to a watercraft of any kind causes it to be a "motorized vessel" and registration fees go way up.

many many times I've paddled canoes and kayaks places where a motor or pedal drive would be nothing but a hindrance- across shallow mudflats (talking a few inches of water) and dense weedbeds to name two. Pushing around a 40lb deep-cycle battery for a motor isn't for me. If you regularly must race 10 miles across the water to get to a "hot bite", perhaps a kayak is not the best choice of vessel for you.

I totally disagree about the upstream travel comment. Today's yaks sit pretty lightly on the water and almost anyone can make it through significant current with a little bit of work. The physical part of it is a bonus for me and many others, it adds to the sense of satisfaction.

Shoebop you need to visit as many well-stocked paddle shops as you can, and if at all possible get in the water with as many different kayaks as you can too. It's much more personal than going to a showroom and looking at powerboats. There ain't a whole hell of a lot of boat around you when you're kayak fishing, so every bit of it should be functional and right FOR YOU.

I recommend picking up a copy of the new Kayak Angler magazine and looking through the Buyer's Guide to fishing kayaks, because as Crotalus pointed out, there are a lot of choices.

I am not sure where you are located but also check your local shops for demo days. Most shops pick a couple days a year and have numerous boats available on a body of water for test paddles.

I've fished out of a Kayak here in the ocean for many many years, and agree it is the best way to fish. Even though I paddle an ancient Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro, I'm of the opinion that if you can afford the extra coin, get a Hobie with a Mirage drive (a peddle kayak). You won't believe the freedom you will have being able to move the kayak and keep one or both hands free to fish at the same time. My next Kayak will be the Hobie Pro Angler - that is so big they don't even include it as a "Kayak" on their website, but man is it a true fishing machine! Look at the videos on youtube for the various kayaks you are thinking about to get an idea of what they are capable of.

Here in San Diego, the kayak anglers catch more white seabass and Yellowtail than any of the big boats, because of all the reasons already mentioned - ability to get into places a bigger boat cant go.

I have a "yellow banana" kayak. It's an old one, sit in, and not comfortable at all. However, I'm dying for the weather to get warmer so I can get it back out.

That said...I'm hoping for a new job (2nd interview seemed to go well) and if I get the job I've told my wife that my "signing bonus" (which I'll have to buy myself) is going to be a Diablo Paddlesports Adios!!! Yes, I REALLY hope I get the job....and kayak!

The Adios isn't rotomolded, it's ABS plastic (or something fancy like that.) So, from what I hear it's harder to repair. It does have a slick surface which allows for the use of suction cups to attach stuff. So, you can put your rod holder in one place....fish it for a day....and decide you want to move it somewhere else....and never have to drill a hole. It's also meant for big Texas guys in low water. It's designed to be wide and stable enough for standing up.

It's what I dream about when I go to bed at night.

www.diablopaddlesports.com

I fly fish out of a 13.5 canoe (pelican navigator). It's a cheap canoe, but I can stand and cast, cover water very well, and drift/cast easily in 10mph wind. Much more than that, and I may prefer to hit a spot, anchor, and work the area hard.

The pros to my canoe are the same for a kayak, compared to a float tube. If I'm out on a lake, I'm in a canoe. If I'm camping, I'm in a canoe. Most of minnesota's water is more canoe friendly than float tube friendly IMO.

Everyone's advice has been extremely helpful. It seems that a kayak (in whatever form) is the better option for alot of different fishing styles and places. Thanks everyone for your input. Chris

I know everyone has their own personal favorites and rigging to match, the Freedom Hawk is mine. I really like the added visual advantage from a standing position when sight fishing reds. And while some might see my elaborate anchoring systems as over-kill, it is designed for my specific local fishing conditions. I have used this system with good success on several rivers in lower Alabama, as well. Also being of such a large size, I do not have a lot of options when it comes to selecting a kayak, but I am quite pleased with the Freedom Hawk

post-25743-0-90036400-1335416305_thumb.jpg

One other consideration i don't think was mentioned that should probably factor into your purchase....How are you going to carry it.....I agree, SOT's are probably the best all around boat...also the heaviest, however, for my purpose, I went for a hybrid Native Watercraft ultimate 12....not because it is a better all around boat, but because it works better for me....90% of my fishing is in the local rivers....come July/August, there are some very shallow stretches...due to it's considerably lighter weight and inherently shallower draft than a SOT, I can drift thru the shallow stretches pretty easily. I chose the 12' because i can easily toss it up on top of my Jeep by myself and go....the 14'er would be more versatile, but that added two feet makes it a little more unwieldy to toss up there when I'm alone.....There is no one perfect boat...A lot of great advice from everyone here.....you really need to consider what will work best for you....Good Luck with your decision!

Mike

I've just gotten back into fishing after being out of it for many years. Bought a Malibu X-13 SOT last fall and spin fished a bit and loved it. Unparalleled for drifting a jig across some flats or dragging a diver around. This spring I used it to fly fish for the first time and loved it for that too. Things to consider:

1. Can I load this sucker on the car alone? If not, better plan on always going fishing with a partner.

2. Can't be beat for trolling a fly or getting to that nice spot across the lake...f-a-s-t.

3. In light or no wind casting wasn't a problem at all. Caught a whole bunch of small trout; rainbows, brookies and browns to 14".

4. With higher winds they are not as good as a float tube. I have yet to try out an anchor or a drift chute which may help. I'm sure experience helps too. Near the end of the day I found myself making corrections with one handed paddle strokes and lining up the next cast.

Harry

Nowadays there are a hundred (or more) options to load any boat on a decent rack system alone. A rack on the car beats any system of foam blocks or whatever and is worth every penny. A simple load-assist bar like the Yakima unit makes it possible to load any heavy Kayak onto the rack single-handedly even for people who are not overly strong.

Some folks don't like to anchor. It can be tricky to downright dangerous in current. In lakes or very slow water I find it an absolute necessity when there is wind, using a very simple anchor trolley to position the boat accordingly. Simple. Beats the hell out of any float tube.

Inherently shallower draft than a SOT? Depends totally on the boat and the load. With my normal fishing gear, my big heavy a$$ clears 3 inches of water, measured, in my Tarpon120. My Ride135 drafts just about an inch more. I'm more than happy to get out and walk in 4 inches of water.

When considering a fishing Kayak, you must accept that you are IN the water with it to some degree. It's not a Bass-Car, it's not supposed to be.

I'm late to the party, but I can add some experience to your choice option. Tarpon 160 (16ft) offers speed and superior handling in open water (Gulf of Mexico), but depending on the size and flow of the rivers you fish it may not be practical. I'm mounting a trolling motor on my Tarpon because after a day of paddling and casting in the Texas/Louisiana summer a paddle back to the launch site 5 miles back is tough for us over 50 plus guys.

Nativewater offers superior stability for casting distances over 40ft if necessary, but the stealth of the kayak seldom makes it a requirement. My Multisport is peddledrive, but is more akin to a sled and can't keep up with the Hobie option. I use it to hold against tide for fishing points and against river current. It shines because it can paddle backwards and I can parallel parks her almost anywhere that is 14" deep.

Smaller sit insides that have foot rests and knee braces can be super maneuverable in smaller streams check out the Dagger line or Liquid Logic Myst 9.5 at 28# it's a great option for smaller/faster water add a spray skirt and weather is less a problem. Bigger guys need bigger boats.

Down here in Texas the bigger shops have kayak demo days. Before I chose one I took my fly rod and tried them all. Fly fishing venues require specific fly rods (length,weight right?) so it is with kayaking on the Gulf Coast requiring various kayak applications and multiple kayaks(I'm lucky,my wife understands).

Hope this helps.