Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
robow7

What glue drys clear on black foam?

What glue or epoxy when used on black foam remains clear and won't turn white?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Guest rich mc

had that problem with my black shannon streamers i was recommended to use black silicone works fine actually was black marine grade from an auto parts store rich

I use krazy glue from the dollar store and it dries white but i found that only the edges of where the glue is placed dries white. So i glue the whole section im working on and every thing is clear and dandy and no white.

CCG Hydro is perfectly clear when used on foam of any color - but you would have to invest in the UV light. The same should be true for other UV cureable acrylics.

if your talking more about glueing black foam in a stack, then I'd use 3M spray adhesive, glue the foam sheets together and after drying, when you cut it, you will not be able to see the glue.

Any decent CA glue should give you clear results. Spills and oozing out the sides may dry opaque, but never had the problem otherwise despite hundreds of black or black and... foam flies.

Any decent CA glue should give you clear results. Spills and oozing out the sides may dry opaque, but never had the problem otherwise despite hundreds of black or black and... foam flies.

The one exception to this would be when water touches the CA glue before it dries. Water and wet CA glue usually leads to White CA glue.

I find that crazy glue work really well on foam when its brand new and depends on where You apply it on the fly. You can apply a light cote of head cement over the crazy glue and it should clear up.!

assuming you are after a gloss finnish,try wet.n.wild "WildShine"fingernail polish.Color is "Black Creme" Say for an ant,you do a little sissor triming,tie on the foam coat it,and when dry,a coat of clear Sally Hansen "Hard as Nails"

Delta creamcoat works quite well. you can also get a really cool effect with the delta creamcoat sparkle glaze.