Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
IRITEI

Colored sponge rubber bodies

Being an old bass fisherman (very old) there are dyes we use to color and tip our plastic worms and craws. I have colored the white bugs with this and it is a good, long lasting fluorescent color. The orange you're looking for is one of the better ones. I also have it in chartreuse and blue and does a great job. Better than a sharpie for that use.

1 hour ago, Gunpowder Angler said:

Tightline Productions has some foam fly patterns tying videos, and he shows a tool that one can order to cut the foam in his newer videos. 

Although it may get into some cost, which never seems to stop fly tyers, a Cricut machine can be used to make foam bodies in any shape that you like. I've given it some thought to get one of the machines, but have not done so.  A fellow in a Facebook fly tying group posted recently how he produces the bodies using one of those machines for his fly tying business.

If you tie a lot of them, that would be the way to go, although it is a fairly large investment. 🙂

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBpz-YTwQg94d9G-C3JV2

a good old pair of scissors can make any shape body you want

xGepr42.jpg

you already have them why not use them

foam sheets come in a multitude of colors

2mm_Foam_540x.jpg?v=1579271627

3mm_Foam_540x.jpg?v=1579288459

I must have started tying spiders late.  Only white and black were available.  Here's an early one that I colored chartreuse with a Prismatic marker.

673066307_Smallie1(2).jpg.a0f4c5287dd0ffae4c069becb48bf20f.jpg

They caught a lot of fish for me, but they weren't very durable and absorbed water..  I eventually used the large sponge body spider as a template and started making them out of craft foam, initially with 2 mm but now I use 3 mm foam.  The original morphed into these.

P5160443.JPG.9b1d7dfb80398634bdd9ecbd2f7e0b8a.JPG

Still my top producing pan fish fly.

On 9/14/2021 at 9:54 AM, tidewaterfly said:

Although it may get into some cost, which never seems to stop fly tyers, a Cricut machine can be used to make foam bodies in any shape that you like. I've given it some thought to get one of the machines, but have not done so.  A fellow in a Facebook fly tying group posted recently how he produces the bodies using one of those machines for his fly tying business.

If you tie a lot of them, that would be the way to go, although it is a fairly large investment. 🙂

I would check how thick those cricut machines can handle. I think most can only handle up to 2mm.  A cheap pair of scissors work just fine for me. 

19 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

I would check how thick those cricut machines can handle. I think most can only handle up to 2mm.  A cheap pair of scissors work just fine for me. 

I don't know how thick they can handle, don't have one. I did see where a fellow was using one to make bodies for his fly shop. How thick would anyone want to make them? I've generally only used 2 or 3 mm foam when making panfish flies, but have made bass flies using 6mm foam that I cut with scissors or a razor/utility blade. 

I’m sorry, I must have miss understood. I thought you were thinking of getting one and I was just pointing out they may have limitations on foam thickness. I myself use 2, 3, and 4 mm mostly. 

342-2.jpg?v-cache=1387797931

i believe these are the foam bodies the original poster was asking about

they are available from cascade crest 

the shapes can be cut from foam sheets as i mentioned above

the above are not available at jstockard or even at rainys website

Rainy's Poppers, Foam Fly Tying Materials | J. Stockard (jsflyfishing.com)

buy a body punch, and punch them out using whatever color you want

spb.jpg

i still recommend scissors to cut them to shape

cricut machines are $190

scissors about $3-4

1 hour ago, flytire said:

342-2.jpg?v-cache=1387797931

i believe these are the foam bodies the original poster was asking about

they are available from cascade crest 

the shapes can be cut from foam sheets as i mentioned above

the above are not available at jstockard or even at rainys website

Rainy's Poppers, Foam Fly Tying Materials | J. Stockard (jsflyfishing.com)

buy a body punch, and punch them out using whatever color you want

spb.jpg

i still recommend scissors to cut them to shape

cricut machines are $190

scissors about $3-4

Thanks Flytire, not knowing what was really needed, just trying to help, not mislead! Many tight lines!