Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
novabass

Unappreciated fly tyers?

I was interested in knowing about talented fly tyers out there commercial or otherwise that you don't feel get enough attention?

Do any names come to mind?

<-------- This guy!!! :lol:

In all seriousness, I cant think of too many off hands. I read enough blogs, tying mags, and sites that all the notables and "rising stars" are featured.

I've never seen a bad fly tied by Thomas Harvey (the Carolina Fly). He is usually featured in the Southern Culture on the Fly e-zine. He seems to be getting more and more "press" and see others catching onto his patterns as well.

In all seriousness, I cant think of too many off hands. I read enough blogs, tying mags, and sites that all the notables and "rising stars" are featured.

I've never seen a bad fly tied by Thomas Harvey (the Carolina Fly). He is usually featured in the Southern Culture on the Fly e-zine. He seems to be getting more and more "press" and see others catching onto his patterns as well.

I'm with Ben, T. Harvey rocks. And what about this Kirk fellow I keep hearing about? Several patterns published in an Orvis fly tying book. There is also Capt. B's all time Swamp Rabbit... There are also great actors, musicians, artists, etc... who will never be known outside a select local few. Many folks here are as good as, or more talented (IMO) than anyone out there... Interesting topic to think about.

BTW, one of the nation great undiscovered beer brewers may well be lurking in the shadows...Now if I could only sample this purported nectar of the gods :unsure:

i would like to know what peoples thoughts are on what it takes to be a notable fly tyer,is it the ability to mimic anothers creation,or the techniques created by ones self,there are many different reasones someone could be thought of as a notable fly tyer..i think im rather good simply because i tie flys that have cought fish..

I got to see a fly demo by Thomas Harvey and talk with him on Monday. He is a great tier and very passionate about the sport. His wedding vale style is awesome and I think it is going to become more popular in the future.

I'm with Ben, T. Harvey rocks. And what about this Kirk fellow I keep hearing about? Several patterns published in an Orvis fly tying book. There is also Capt. B's all time Swamp Rabbit... There are also great actors, musicians, artists, etc... who will never be known outside a select local few. Many folks here are as good as, or more talented (IMO) than anyone out there... Interesting topic to think about.

BTW, one of the nation great undiscovered beer brewers may well be lurking in the shadows...Now if I could only sample this purported nectar of the gods :unsure:

Kirk fellow?? hmmm, name rings a bell but I cant put my finger on it :huh:

Hmm. wonder whom you are speaking about :huh:. One of these months ill have to make it to your neck of the woods and bring some down. If it wasn't for federal law you'd have some :angry:

I dont see tons of folks talking about Matt Grobert... man though, simple, easy to tie, great flies and amazing teaching style.

I dont see tons of folks talking about Matt Grobert... man though, simple, easy to tie, great flies and amazing teaching style.

I didn't know about Matt, so this is great!!

Keep'em coming!

Here's a vote for a guy who's long gone now.... His name was Harry Friedman and I only met him towards the end of his long life. In the late 1940's he actually lived on one of the islands near the Ragged Keys along the eastern boundary of Biscayne Bay.... He was nice enough to give me a few pointers back in the late seventies when I was developing an interest in fly tying. My very first bonefish was on a pattern he taught me.... As a life long member of the Miami Beach Rod and Reel Club his proudest achievement was a 72lb tarpon on 12lb tippet. When I first saw the photo I wasn't very impressed.... later I learned that the Miami Beach club in that era (1950's) thought it un-sporting to use a shock tippet when fly fishing.... I can't imagine a 72lb fish on straight 12lb line (and I've handled quite a few fly caught tarpon -seven or eight this week alone).

By the way, Harry was a contemporary of Joe Brooks and you'll find more than one or two pics of him in those early books on saltwater fly from the master, Mr. Brooks....

Here's to you Harry, I never got to fish with you and wish it weren't so....

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

Thanks Dave and Chef, that's nice of ya'll to think that but I've always been a terrible businessman and prefer to fly under the radar. I'm not one to crank and crank out flies, much more of a tinkerer and just tie commercially for people that don't mind waiting several months or more for their flies. This is a face paced world and industry, I'm just a little slow.

My vote goes to two, Captain Bubby Rodriguez and Ted "Theodore Gordon" Cabali. Bubby is one of the most intuitive people I know whether it is life, fly tying or fishing and was the first Fly Fishing Only redfish guide in Louisiana, he later hired me part-time to make me in the top ten fly only guides back then, mid-1990's. He knows fish and what he wants in a fly and by tying for him, I learned a lot about fly design and working for him, I learned a lot about myself and redfish.

Now Ted, he is the co-founder of the first fly club in Louisiana, The New Orleans Fly Fishers, founded in 1983. Two months later, I joined the club for $10 to get the free fly tying lessons that came along with the membership. I don't think I've ever seen two of the same fly come off of Ted's vice, it amazes me where he comes up with some of the stuff. He is like an elf in Santa's shop tinkering with the bows and ribbons. He is a retired elementary teacher and his story telling and recollection of fly tying and fishing history astounds, he is quite a character.

Anyway, Dave and Chef, I'd also include you two in a number of members on this site that are less appreciated or recognized as they deserve. Certainly Fred H and Stippled Popper are among them too.

I didn't know about Matt, so this is great!!

Keep'em coming!

His blog is http://www.caddischronicles.com/

enjoy it!

How about a local legend for me, Andy Burke. Not only are his flies pieces of art but when I was first starting to tie I was Able to go into his shop and sit there and watch him tie as he would give me pointers and answer my questions. If you haven't heard of him check his work out!