Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

1,380 Miles

GRADUATION DAY!! 9 Nov, 2012. MY SON IS A US MARINE :headbang:

My wife and I took the trip from Jeannette, PA to be with my one and only son on a huge day in his life. For the last 13 weeks he has been in book camp, Parris Island, SC. We left here at 1:30 pm Thurs.

After a 2 hour delay in Charlotte, NC we made it about 2:30 am. An hour remaining.We find a room and get two and a half hours sleep. Back on the road to get there and find a parking spot. You should have see the cars flooding the place even at the 6:30 am. I'm not a Marine but I am a vet. As I sit there thinking about my own day on the grinder, I am now in my mothers place watching my son. Its hard to see him at times because I need wipers on my forehead.Pride is bursting out!

Now as we sit there Im ondering if is "mother" is here. Keep in mind I now live in PA. She moved to SC a few months ago, about an hour away from the base. As the ceremony concludes and everyone pours onto the parade grounds im looking for my son. Still looking! still looking- There he is. He was ready to go back to get his gear and go to the airport. He didnt think I was going to have the money to make it. Well we did. As thing end no sign of his triffling ass mother. Once again she wasnt there for her son.

We get his gear in the truck and head back to West Virginia. I could not beleave the gas prices compaired to home. Gas here is $3.80 avg. I got gas there at $3.10 WTF. One guy told me the day before he found a place that had it at $2.99. Final milage total 1,380 miles and $280 in gas. OMG. I'M PROUD OF YOU SON!!

post-3866-0-86526300-1352587476_thumb.jpg post-3866-0-97963300-1352587485_thumb.jpg

Congratulations! I'm sure it meant a lot to him that you made it and for you, I have no doubt that the trip was worth every penny.....

Mike

Two proud men standing shoulder to shoulder. Makes a great photo. You get a couple of thumbs up from me. Congratulations to your son.

Congratulations. Here's to a long successful career.

3.80 a gallon or a litre? Wish I could find that here. My local is close to 11dollars a gallon! Diesels even more.

Congratulations. Here's to a long successful career.

3.80 a gallon or a litre? Wish I could find that here. My local is close to 11dollars a gallon! Diesels even more.

$11 a gal. I guess I should not complain "that much" about $3.80.

Kevin

Thanks everyone.

Thats a good looking pair in the picture. Congratulations to you and your son. I know what you mean about needing wipers because I did the same at Ft. Benning when my son graduated. He got to do what I didn't get to do back in '84 when I got a training discharge because of a trashed knee. It makes you feel so proud of them that you can't hardly stand yourself. Take Care and shake his hand for me, Tony

Very well done, a day I'm sure you'll treasure the memories of. Huge respect for me and many others.

Cheers,

C.