Fly Tying
WhiteBuffalo58

Hook Assortment?

Being new to tying, i've found hook choice a bit confusing. Does anyone know of a hook assortment that has say 5-10 hooks of each standard size and style? I've looked around quite a bit, but havn't found what i'm looking for. I think it'd be a great learning tool.

Rob

Mornin' Paul,

That question seems to be part of my problem. I live on a lake that has a huge diversity of species. I'm having a tough time settling on any one style, size or pattern. But to narrow it down for now, mostly panfish species. Bream, Crappie, White and Smallmouth Bass, etc. Eventually though, larger patterns will be a must.

Rob

Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters has assortments of hooks and a tremendous selection of materials.

http://www.chifly.com/Product/ProductList/Fly-Tying-Materials/Hooks?categoryId=107&currentPage=0

Yah, I came across those and a few others. Most of those are setup for someone who knows what they're looking for. I guess what i'm thinking about, would be what i'd call a sampler assortment. So many of the hooks included in those kits, i'd probably never use.

Rob

Yah, I came across those and a few others. Most of those are setup for someone who knows what they're looking for. I guess what i'm thinking about, would be what i'd call a sampler assortment. So many of the hooks included in those kits, i'd probably never use.

Rob

I don't know about an actual assortment of hooks, but there are plenty of posters that show all the different hook styles on one page. Just type in "fly fishing hooks" on your browser, then hit the "images" button and you'll have all the choices you want.

I'm sure if you contacted Will (SmallieHunter) at green caddis I'm sure he would put together a selection and the prices are very good so you can't lose really.

If you stick to size 12 - 8 and across a couple of styles of hooks you'll have plenty of fishing flies to go at.

Mike, i've looked at and even printed off several of those charts and so far none have been to scale or gave a true account of the hooks. I don't have a local shop, so i'm trying to sort it all out mostly online.

Piker, that's a great idea, i'll give it a try. I actually signed up for an account with GCO last week and have an order placed with them now. Waiting to see if I get what I think I was trying for. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips guys!

Rob

maybe you should figure out what you want to tie then ask about a hook style to use

hook assortment links were given to you but thats not what you were looking for??

When I first started tying about 5 years ago, the fly shop that I frequented had a "beginners" pack of assorted hooks that was made by Dalichi. There were about a dozen small hard plastic containers that were linked together, and they had about a dozen of each hook size they offered. I don't know if they still offer that or not. But it was enough to get me started tying trout flies, until I could understand hooks.

Bill

Mornin' Paul,

That question seems to be part of my problem. I live on a lake that has a huge diversity of species. I'm having a tough time settling on any one style, size or pattern. But to narrow it down for now, mostly panfish species. Bream, Crappie, White and Smallmouth Bass, etc. Eventually though, larger patterns will be a must.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I've caught everything that you have listed except White Bass on Mustad 79580 size 10 hooks. Obviously, you can use other sizes, but you can make woolly buggers, top water fly's like Turck's Tarantula's, Clouser type patterns, Hellgrammites for smallies etc. just on that one hook design. Size 10 is good for large sunfish/bluegills since the smaller ones really can't get it into their mouths that easy unless they line it up just right.

Regards,

Mark

I do appreciate all input guys!

I think what I had in mind simply doesn't exist. Maybe i'm just thinking wrong, but I thought maybe somebody might have put together an assortment of like 5 or 6 each, of all the hooks listed on the Tiemco chart.(or whatever chart) That would give an upstart, like me, the opportunity to see first hand what each hook is, "in hand".(so to speak :) ) There would also be enough of each to give 'em a try and see how they worked out.

Evidentally it's not as good of an idea as I thought it was, or somebody would have done it by now. Boys I tell ya, sometimes it is so lonely being outside the box. :rolleyes:

Thanks again,

Rob