Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
charettl

Fly Tying Rooms

I'm with nick, if he uses a lot of epoxy or CA he could be working on one fly while the others are drying to save some time.

Now we start getting humble, "My tying area isn't even a room!"

"When I was a younger tier, I had to mine my own metal for the hooks, smelt it and forge the hooks by hammer and anvil. I had to kill and prepare all my own skins. Weave and dye my own threads."

"We didn't have fly rods then, I had to swim faster than the fish, hook it by hand and then I could bring it in hand over hand."

"Now I have a tying area, but it's just a hole in the ground covered by a twig." (Courtesy, Monty Python's Flying Circus)

Yeah, this could be kinda of a turn-off thread for a newcomer. My tying area as I'm getting started again lacks any organization at all. After looking at his setup I now know that the first priority for me is to get my feathers and components into some kind of logical pattern where I can find things. I do think it could make an interesting thread to have all the guys who have nice tying rooms, or corners, or holes in the ground, to take some pics or vids and let others see how you set up. Might get some good ideas out of that and everyone could benefit. Having just returned to tying again after years of other pursuits, my cubbyhole carved out of a corner of a crowded shed leaves me in awe of a setup as nice the guy in vid. And if this thread scares anyone off, stay out of motorcycle or firearm boards.

LOL Vic ... good point about the "other" types of sites.

There are several threads, already running, about different tying areas, from portable set ups to full fledged workshops set up for more than one person. Most of them are on THIS forum ... "The Fly Tying Bench".

Okay, as Sandflyx has shown ... some of these guys are a bit obsessive. While not psychotic enough to be on the government's most wanted list, you wouldn't want to let them into a zoo unsupervised.

My tying room just went through another transformation, once i can see the top of my desk again I will have to post another photo.

one of these days I will have to combine all the photos over the years to document the evolution of my room.

I do think it could make an interesting thread to have all the guys who have nice tying rooms, or corners, or holes in the ground, to take some pics or vids and let others see how you set up. Might get some good ideas out of that and everyone could benefit.

ask and ye shall receive

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=special&page=GalleriesHome&GalleriesCat=Benches

Thanx for the links to pics guys. One of the things many/most newbies and bait fisherman (man I hate bait) do on a board new to them is to forget how handy the search feature is. We'll throw out a question or suggestion thinking it's a new idea that may have a dozen threads related to what we just asked. Being new to this board but not new to boards, I always use the example of a new board member on an MC board asking what OIL is best to use in their bikes. AARRGGHHH. When this is asked you can hear the crickets chirping even thru my tinnitus. I'll spend more time with the search feature but really appreciate looking thru the photos of other's benches. Yesterday I went out, took a look at mine, and decided to organize for real this time. I am good with woodwork and will look at several types of bench storage systems for keeping things where I need them instead of digging thru an inch or two of chicken feathers to find that whip finisher or scissors.

Thanx to all for such a great site for a re-entry tyer to get info and help.

WOOD WORKER? come out here and do some building in exchange for tying and casting...I suck at wood, now a small block chevy i can take apart almost blind folded and rebuild..