Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

A few more musky flies

Did you just stick on the eyes. Might want to put them close to nose and use epoxy or ccg covering part the eyes so they wont fall off.

Did you just stick on the eyes. Might want to put them close to nose and use epoxy or ccg covering part the eyes so they wont fall off.

I'm not too worried about it, they are held in place by a bunch of CA gel superglue. I'm sure fish can and will rip them off. If they do, I can replace them. I didn't want the eyes all the way to the hook eye and putting CCG or epoxy over the entire head would turn it into a rock!

I'm casting them on a 10wt. With just about all bucktail, flash, synthetic yak, and craft fur, they won't hold as much water as you might think.

Yea know what you mean. You can now get the eyes with the tabs which I cool. Gonna get some when I run out or may make my own, cant be to difficult.

Give "goop" a chance for the eyes. Its the only thing thats held up to pike/musky on my flies!

Those are some beautiful flies. I'm curious on how everyone feels about the eyes are they for the fish or the fisherman?

I lean towards fishermen. I know I like to see them. :) As for the fish, I throw the Murdich Minnow a lot for bass and use 3D eyes on them, also. Fish the same fly for a while and after several fish, they usually come off...but the fish still hit the pattern without eyes.

There is an argument that never ends about things like that. Its real hard to say exactly what a fish will pin point on a given day, so I figure it cant help.

However, if it does I dont care because I like the way they look! biggrin.png

Those are some beautiful flies. I'm curious on how everyone feels about the eyes are they for the fish or the fisherman?

This one's been discussed a lot, and there's no general consensus. I used to do a lot of diving, (mostly in salt water) and there's absolutely no doubt that baitfish eyes stick out like a sore thumb. I'm sure the eyes represent a target to predators, since their bodies are all but invisible. On the other hand, some of the most successful fly patterns of all time like muddlers, woolly buggers, and Tabory's snake fly don't have eyes. Sometimes I use eyes and sometimes I don't, and I've never noticed a big difference one way or the other. It's like the plastic Jesus on the dashboard. It's probably not gonna be much help if you get crunched by a semi, but it's certainly not gonna do any harm either.

BTW - great looking flies TC. They'd be deadly on a lot of saltwater species as well. Striped bass would really hammer them when they're on big bait.