Fly Tying
riffleriversteelheadslayer

Febuary 2013 flies from the vice

CTobias, i like! With that second one i fancy the underwing you have used, toyed around with this a bit while mounting wings and it really makes it a load easier and perhaps more durable. Seen a couple of patterns around that call for a 'prop' or 'hidden underwing'. That one tho gives a nice stripe or flash of purple to the fly, i'd just make the throat a bit shorter, could be the photo tho.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="FlyFishin'Jam" data-cid="537593" data-time="1360798246"><p>

CTobias, i like! With that second one i fancy the underwing you have used, toyed around with this a bit while mounting wings and it really makes it a load easier and perhaps more durable. Seen a couple of patterns around that call for a 'prop' or 'hidden underwing'. That one tho gives a nice stripe or flash of purple to the fly, i'd just make the throat a bit shorter, could be the photo tho.</p></blockquote>

Thanks! I figured I would try an underwing on there since I have never seen it too much. Even researched it on a few pages and couldn't find anything.

Yeah, a couple of he barbs stuck out straight at me for some reason so they look a bit longer. I don't think the fish will mind though.

I am going to try it more often i think, that is a nice effect. In Trey Combs book 'steelhead flyfishing' the originator of the prismatic spey mentions the use of an underwing purely as support and it is not seen. The amount of rock and tree whipping my flies do it makes sense. I do like what you achieved there!

I've got a name for that fly, Crotalus. Call it the "Bobber Frog" ... because that is one large chunk of foam !!!
Talk about surface commotion !!!

Just a note, I'd cut the bottom of the foam flat, to try and keep it "upright." With that round shape, I think it's going to roll, a lot.

I am thinking about squaring off the bottom, the hook is a bass stinger so it has a more open gap.

I think i have posted this one here before but not sure, I call it the "Flip Flop Frog" smile.png

8454720046_cc9280a403_z.jpg

this is the first fish i caught on one, probably the 3rd cast/retrieve. I dont think it matters which way the hook is pointing smile.png

8476235710_8df140b374_z.jpg

A few more speys, last ones for a while, i feel stocked up. Bit messy.

Jams Purple

P2152073_zpse57466cf.jpg

A Pink

P2152074_zps87a06ac0.jpg

An Orange

P2152079_zpsa243bb4d.jpg

Some March Browns for a swap on another site.

Very nice, that head will attract for sure.

A few more speys, last ones for a while, i feel stocked up. Bit messy.

Aww, I like those!