Fly Tying
riffleriversteelheadslayer

Febuary 2013 flies from the vice

Nice Riff!

Tied up a Spey fly today. Still need to work on the head. Having a tough time finishing the fly off. In any case, here she is! A Winters Hope Variation. Kingfisher Blue Schlappen and purple rabbit in a dubbing loop.

SAM_1095_zpsdb5e8ed5.jpg

That should scare one up Chef. Best advice I can give on the head of the fly is to stop way before you think you need to with your materials and make the least amount of wraps as possible. You don't have to worry so much when you're tying flies that have a good amount of hackle up front. When you get into the sparse Spey flies you will notice how too much thread can make finishing the fly a pain.

Thanks CT! Other thing I noticed is the tinsel got a little goofy on the back. Of course these are things only noticeable when blown up in a picture! Im pretty happy with it though!

Looking awesome! What size are the blind eye speys?

I love the dee flies! What do you use for the wings for the white wing dee's?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Chefben4" data-cid="539965" data-time="1361761181"><p>

Looking awesome! What size are the blind eye speys?<br />

<br />

I love the dee flies! What do you use for the wings for the white wing dee's? </p></blockquote>

Thanks!!

The blind eye are the AJ 1.5's.

The white wings are mostly goose shoulder. The ones on the right side are white turkey wing. I have to admit I tied the ones on the left the wrong way. They are tied over lapping. Then I read that they need to be butted up against eachother so I switched it and started tying it correctly. I don't think the fish will care either way.

Very cool flies Kimo.

Kimo those are ridiculous! AMAZING.

I love that Spey fly Chef Ben!

Thanks guys!

Wow kimo i really like those nymphs! are you just using wire rapped mono off the end? is there any glue used?

ok first up are some jig head buggers tied on a sz. 8, the barred olive ones have sili legs on em which i think is a great addition, i used em on stocked rainbows at my local lake yesterday, and they couldnt keep away from em. i ended up giving a few away to these two kids with spinning rods that wernt catching, i always get a real kick out of other people catching fish on my flies..

the second one is a bass streamer that im very pleased with

post-45335-0-90739600-1361829710_thumb.jpg

post-45335-0-61935200-1361829978_thumb.jpg

post-45335-0-08263300-1361829999_thumb.jpg

Wow kimo i really like those nymphs! are you just using wire rapped mono off the end? is there any glue used?

ok first up are some jig head buggers tied on a sz. 8, the barred olive ones have sili legs on em which i think is a great addition, i used em on stocked rainbows at my local lake yesterday, and they couldnt keep away from em. i ended up giving a few away to these two kids with spinning rods that wernt catching, i always get a real kick out of other people catching fish on my flies..

the second one is a bass streamer that im very pleased with

Thanks! What you are seeing is the thread base wrapped around the hook. I just can't cut the hook portion close enough to the tails without cutting off the biots. No glue used or any adhesive.