Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
green

favorite panfish fly

What kind of fly do you seem to catch the most fish on? I seem to catch the most fish on a red copper john. What sizes and colors do you use?

My favorite all around panfish fly is a size 16 pheasant tail with a wingcase of flashabou instead of pheasant fibers. It's the perfect bite-size for all bluegills, pumpkinseeds, and shellcrackers, they just slurp em' up! I've caught 3 inchers to 12 inchers on them, can also lure in bass fry! Tie them very durable (I use red thread, the fish see the head on the fly and go nuts!), and one will last the whole day.

Accardo Bream Masters are what got me hooked on fly-fishing. Now that they've gone out of business and since I tie im always trying to duplicate them. You can still find them online.

I swear if you take a predator throw it on the ice the bluegill will bore a hole through it just to eat it

I would second this. I changed mine up a bit though. Shortened the hook, changed the placement of the legs and cut the wing longer which aids in diving. Still like crack though. You have to beat them off with a stick sometimes.

I swear if you take a predator throw it on the ice the bluegill will bore a hole through it just to eat it

I would second this. I changed mine up a bit though. Shortened the hook, changed the placement of the legs and cut the wing longer which aids in diving. Still like crack though. You have to beat them off with a stick sometimes.

What is a Breambuster Predator fly and how do you tie it?

Coinman66,

Breamnbuster is a member on the forum. The predator was designed and refined by Skip Morris and Chris Helm. I cant remember what it calls for now. I can give you the material list for mine. I call mine a Persuader. Here is the list for mine:

Hook: Mustad 3366 size 10

Eyes: Mono

Tail: Krystal Flash

Body: Ice Dubbing and 2mm Foam

Legs: Round rubber

You will tie in the eyes first directly behind the eye of the hook. Once secure, tie in the flash directly behind the eyes. Next comes the foam. Again, tie that in behind the eyes and work back to the bend of the hook securing it down well. From the bend of the hook, add the dubbing and advance to the front. Here is where I differ from the Predator (at least one of the differences). I move the thread and dubbing to the half way point of the hook and tie in the round rubber. For the Predator you will advance all the up the shank of the hook and tie in the rubber legs behind and over the eyes. Your call. For me, after the legs are tied in, I dub over the thread and advance again to right behind the eyes. I then pull the foam over and secure it behind the eyes. Advance your thread forward to in front of the eyes. Now secure the foam there with several wraps. Move the thread back to behind the eyes and pull the foam back securing it there. Cut a V in the foam for the wing.

Does that help?

post-10276-0-37231400-1305601839_thumb.jpg
A very old one of mine to kind of give you a rough idea of what it looks like.

Coinman66,

Breamnbuster is a member on the forum. The predator was designed and refined by Skip Morris and Chris Helm. I cant remember what it calls for now. I can give you the material list for mine. I call mine a Persuader. Here is the list for mine:

Hook: Mustad 3366 size 10

Eyes: Mono

Tail: Krystal Flash

Body: Ice Dubbing and 2mm Foam

Legs: Round rubber

You will tie in the eyes first directly behind the eye of the hook. Once secure, tie in the flash directly behind the eyes. Next comes the foam. Again, tie that in behind the eyes and work back to the bend of the hook securing it down well. From the bend of the hook, add the dubbing and advance to the front. Here is where I differ from the Predator (at least one of the differences). I move the thread and dubbing to the half way point of the hook and tie in the round rubber. For the Predator you will advance all the up the shank of the hook and tie in the rubber legs behind and over the eyes. Your call. For me, after the legs are tied in, I dub over the thread and advance again to right behind the eyes. I then pull the foam over and secure it behind the eyes. Advance your thread forward to in front of the eyes. Now secure the foam there with several wraps. Move the thread back to behind the eyes and pull the foam back securing it there. Cut a V in the foam for the wing.

Does that help?

A very old one of mine to kind of give you a rough idea of what it looks like.

Helps very much and thank you. Cant wait to try it out on local Bluegill pond. Do you catch any big gills on it?