Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MayflyMeyhem

Best 4-weight rob/blank

Curious about thoughts on best 4 weight for stream trout. I have a Sage SP 486-3 factory built, and Composite Development (CD) Intuitive Casting Taper (ICT) 9 footer I built myself with top shelf components. Like both for streams in Rochester, NY area and the Catskills. For the streams I fish, 4 wt is my go to choice. Curious about Gatti, Dan Craft, others. Also been thinking about moving toward bamboo.

The Payne 100 blank 7 1/2 ft 4wt from The Anglers Roost in flamed bamboo. Fishing the Beaverkill or Wilowemoc with class.

I had a buddy that once thought he would never fish anything but Winston. I built him an 8'6" 4 wt. on a Tiger's Eye blank, and it ended up being his favorite rod. He liked it so well that I built an identical one for myself, and it is now my favorite rod. It's a little (very little) heavier in hand than a Winston, but it has the same smooth-as-silk medium- to medium-fast action. Built with good cork, a sweet cherry burl and titanium reel seat and titanium single foot guides, it came in right under $100. It will very likely be the rod in my hand when I keel over and become fish food someday. :)

I've got several Tiger Eyes. They cast as well or better than my Sages and Winstons. Great rods for the money.

Dave

I built a Composite Developments ICT as mentioned in prior post. Blank made in New Zealand and had good reviews, AND the NZ dollar to US dollar exchange rate made it real attractive. Nice rod, but for me seems to break down a little on extra long casts. Was thinking of underlining by 1 wt class when I fish that special swing on the Beaverkill this spring. Do like my 8 ft 4 wt Sage SP, but was thinking of trying something new. Based on the feedback on the Tiger Eye blanks, may move in that direction. Super economical compared to the highly marketed ones li,e Sage, Loomis, etc.

Anybody fish a Gatti blank? Currently having a 10% off sale for March. Curious how they cast...

I have an older 5wt Gatti TA. It's very light and feels a bit faster/snappier than the Sage SP. I like them both.

I don't know about greatest as I have not fished them all but I built on an MHX blank (not expensive at all) last year and some guides in the Yellowstone Park area were EXTREMELY impressed with it. These were Sage and Winston guys. I will be building for one soon :-)

I've built 4 rods now on MHX blanks and they're great if.......you like a fast rod taper and a very light weight blank. If you like a more moderate action or some heft, look elsewhere. Years ago I built on a couple Tiger Eyes but the taper was too slow for my tastes and they were heavier than some of my other sticks, that might not be true now. Everybody is different and there is no best rod since we all appreciate different things in the way a rod handles and casts.