Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyTieDad

Shopping list for my wife

So my wife is one of those clever types that are always trying to find just the right gift for people.

But to do so she has to learn everything about the product first.

Well if she wants to do this for me with fly tying she would need to ask me a lot of questions which would lead to me knowing what I'm going to get.

To make it easier I thought I'd write up some short explanations for her.

So here's my list.

It’s not short.

Do you see anything I'm missing that needs to be added or anywhere that my novice level knowledge is getting wrong?

Thanks for your thoughts.

---------------------------------

Used or garage sale stuff is usually fine but in some things you need to know what to look for to be sure it's good.

In most cases thread isn't an issue.

You know from sewing what thread should look and act like if it's old.

So for thread.

Differences in size.

UTC 140 is about the largest I use. I have some 150.

Usually you either get 70 or 140.

This is a Denier size so the smaller the number the thinner the thread.

UTC is a brand

The other numbering system is called "aught" numbers.

zero is also known as "aught".

The numbers are like

3/0 6/0 8/0

but they are called "3 aught" "6 aught" etc.

with aught numbers the smaller the number the thicker the thread.

But here's the kicker.. they are not consistent between manufactures.

Uni is a popular brand that measures in the "aught" range

In general

Uni-Thread 17/0 is about a Denier 40

Uni-Thread 8/0 is about a Denier 72

Uni-Thread 6/0 is about a Denier 135

Uni-Thread 3/0 is about a Denier 215

So a 6/0 or 8/0 in Uni would be what I would usually use.

Floss is also sold on a spool and I bought some before I understood the difference.

I do use it, but not a lot at a time.

I have some 300 denier floss.

Don't buy tippet unless it's from a store.

I've seen several people on ebay selling it but if it's over 2 years old it could have a 'memory' and will uncoil like a spring and be useless.

leader is the same unless it's furled or braided. Furled and braided do not retain a memory so this one reason why they are better.

However don't buy braided leader as it has issues the furled does not.

When buying a leader I wouldn't mind if it had a tippet ring just to make life easier.

Fly line

there are 3 major types.

sinking, floating, mid of the line.

These are not the correct names.

One is prone to sink quicker and is useful with wet flies.

One is prone to float and is useful with dry flies

and one will slowly sink and then just ride under the water and is universal.

Also, I might be wrong on all the above.

Fly line does not retain a memory as far as I know so it can be several years old.

Backing.

It looks like string.

In general you only need to buy it once for a new reel.

4 lines are on a reel.

starting at the reel.

backing

fly line

leader

tippet

Wire is used in tying on the fly so the thinner the better.

the stuff I got at the craft store is a little thick.

Gold, silver and red are used a lot

Vinyl Tubing is used as well.. see what I have and buy what I don't.

Latex gloves would be nice to cut up.

look for natural or green in color.

I could use some lead sheet.. it's pretty thin and you cut it up to use.

Feathers and Fur

People get pretty picky about these.

I'm not good enough to be that picky yet.

one major thing to know.

if these have not been stored right an insect will eat them.

in the feathers you will notice the tips are missing.

Fur will start to come off the skin in clumps.

If it smells like mothballs or cedar it's likely been stored correctly.

a zip lock bag is good too.

Fur comes in several species, body locations and colors.

Body location really means where on the body it is from.

Deer tail, body fur from the back and belly are all different.

same for other animals.

Look at what I have.. buy what I don't.

Deer, calf and rabbit are very popular types.

Dubbing is also fur.

It comes in natural, synthetic and mixed.

I find natural easier to use, but really for dry flies you are supposed to use synthetic.

I think my stock of dubbing is pretty good but again, look at what I have and but more if it looks low or buy what I don't have.

I do know I use a lot of olive color.

feathers are a PAIN to understand.

You have hackles, under body feathers, tails, wings, marabou (blood quills), biots... and on and on.

Hackles are either saddle or neck.

it should be graded.

If it's not graded don't trust it.

grade 1 is best.

I'm fine with grade 2

You can't make a mistake buying marabou, biots, wings or tails so long as you get a good price. Just look for it in natural and multiple colors.

With wings you need to get both the left and the right because of the apposing nature of the feathers.

You might want to leave hackles up to me unless you see a crazy deal at a garage sale then just take the chance.

usually a grade 2 will be $50 or more for the neck and $40 or more for the saddle.

I need dry fly hackle.. very thin feathers.

Hooks.

Look at what I have and buy what I'm low on or don't have.

Hooks have the same number for different sizes so if you see a 90000br it could some in different sizes.

the bigger the number the smaller the hook.

They are counted by 2.

I have as small as a 24.

usual sizes are from 12 - 20 depending on what you need.

I use larger but not that many yet.

Don't spend more than $.07 a hook but shoot for under $.05

beads

like hooks look at what I have and get what I don't

I especially like the little glass ones but if you are buying from a craft store you would need to be sure they fit on my hooks.

Chain.

Pull chains from a light work as eyes.

2 or 3 different colors like gold, silver and black would all I would need.

Monofilament line

if you are at a garage sale and they have thick monofilament buy it cheep and I'll use it to make eyes.

Don't spend a lot on this. It shouldn't cost anything hardly.

Tools.

I'd really like a new vise some day but I don't know anything about these.

I think the rotary would be great.

hackle pliers

I have 2 but I'd really like to try out a rotary type.

scissors

I have a nice set but a curved one would be nice.

always be sure they are serrated on one side at least.

Half hitch tool.

these come in different sizes. I don't have any for really small hooks like #20 or anything larger than a #10.

paint/glue

I'd like some sally.. whoever hard as nails clear as well as some random colors.

Don't go nuts.. 2 or 3 bottles max.

I could use another bobbin.

I don't know much about these but I know they have a ceramic version that is pretty nice.

You could make me a dubbing brush.

It's a piece of hook sided Velcro glued to a stick.

Some display/drying hooks might be nice.

Look on ebay for "Single Hook Clip Mini Grabber Test Probe"

flashabou or other synthetic like it.

Craft Store

Foam black, brown, red, yellow

Raffia in multiple colors. Try to stay natural like brown, black, etc

Sulky metallic

Sulky holoshimmer

-------------------------------------

FlyTieDad

Um ... my list is:

Prepaid credit card ... Visa or American Express.

Accepted in most stores and by Pay-Pal.

I just send pictures of the stuff I'd like to have .... the more pictures I send, the more options she's got.

If you can include some pictures to go with your descriptions ... I am sure it'll make things much easier for her to understand.

Yep you just know you're getting a voucher lol. I always think if its a special birthday or she wants you to have it in years to come, a rod reel or waistcoat, bag etc are hard to beat. If you wade a wading staff makes a lovely keepsake that unless you loose it will last a long time. I'm talking wood ones not production plastic or metal.

Might help to know that self adhesive lead foil comes from golf pro shops. They use it to weight their bats. Lot cheaper than when bought for fly tying.

Cheers,

C.

Their bats! Their bats?? You've upset someone their Al.

Good tip on the golf shop though. I'll dig out some audacious trousers and a pink jumper and make a trip down.

Just tell her to get you a JStockard gift card. If I gave a list like that to my lovely and talented wife of 22 years, I know where it would go.... wadded up and bounced off my forehead in about 2 seconds.

"You could make me a dubbing brush" ... seriously, tread lightly. If you need a piece of velcro stuck to a popsicle stick... Man to Man- please do this one yourself.

".. see what I have and buy what I don't." That's a very dangerous line of instruction. She will look through your gear and think "How could he possibly need MORE stuff?" even if all you have is a small box of materials.

my thoughts boil down to this: If she is sincerely interested in your hobby, she will quickly pick up enough knowledge to make appropriate choices. It would be far more beneficial to give her a SHORT "wish list" of specific items you want, rather than instruct her to memorize everything you already have and hope she gets something useful which you don't have.

If I handed instructions like this to my wife she would laugh and remind that "she doesn't buy me stuff I buy her stuff"

Might help to know that self adhesive lead foil comes from golf pro shops. They use it to weight their bats. Lot cheaper than when bought for fly tying.

Cheers,

C.

I never knew that.

Thanks!

Just tell her to get you a JStockard gift card. If I gave a list like that to my lovely and talented wife of 22 years, I know where it would go.... wadded up and bounced off my forehead in about 2 seconds.

"You could make me a dubbing brush" ... seriously, tread lightly. If you need a piece of velcro stuck to a popsicle stick... Man to Man- please do this one yourself.

".. see what I have and buy what I don't." That's a very dangerous line of instruction. She will look through your gear and think "How could he possibly need MORE stuff?" even if all you have is a small box of materials.

my thoughts boil down to this: If she is sincerely interested in your hobby, she will quickly pick up enough knowledge to make appropriate choices. It would be far more beneficial to give her a SHORT "wish list" of specific items you want, rather than instruct her to memorize everything you already have and hope she gets something useful which you don't have.

My wife really does love to get into things like this and would never buy me a gift card.

Some of the little things are for my kids to give me, including making the brush.

They also LOVE to wrap presents. I will often get 'gifts' of random objects around my house so the opportunity to wrap a single package of dubbing for me would make their day.

However.. I will be prepared to duck.

Um ... my list is:

Prepaid credit card ... Visa or American Express.

Accepted in most stores and by Pay-Pal.

I just send pictures of the stuff I'd like to have .... the more pictures I send, the more options she's got.

If you can include some pictures to go with your descriptions ... I am sure it'll make things much easier for her to understand.

I like the idea of pictures.

I'll send her links once in a while too but I know my little ones will be running around the store looking for things for me so this list is also there to curtail certain purchase.

Their bats! Their bats?? You've upset someone their Al. Good tip on the golf shop though. I'll dig out some audacious trousers and a pink jumper and make a trip down.

Good!

I have to second the recommendation give here by others to go with a gift card from J. Stockard (our forum sponsor) -- they have everything you could realistically need or want at this stage of the game. If one or both of you is really intent on having her do the shopping, I would find a store online that allows you to build and save a "wish list", and let her choose from that. Either of those is going to be a lot more pleasant (possibly even fun) experience for your wife than trying to work her way through a long and complex list.

Riffle at least you don't ask for much a #1 Jungle Cock Cape, I wouldn't advising googling that