Fly Tying
lhommedieu

Recommendations for fly tying materials store

After a long hiatus from fly tying (20+ years) I thought I'd get back into it by tying some of Sylvester Neme's soft hackle patterns for a trip to PA's Slate Run Creek.

I still have my old equipment but unfortunately, Hille's store in Williamsport has not yet recovered from a fire a couple of years ago and I don't know where to order Pearsal's silk, partridge skins, etc.

Can anyone give me some recommendations for a good fly tying materials store?

Best,

Steve

Welcome back to the fold, Friend. There are several threads about where to buy fly tying material. Look around a bit, and you'll find there are as many places to buy stuff as there are members on this site.

You'll get some answers here, but the topic has been beaten to death many times, and it's all on this forum.

I guess I could have just looked at the top of the screen at "J. Stockard," lol...

I'll do some searches on the forum, nonetheless.

Sorry for the newbie question but when I was tying flies, I was still ordering supplies out of a paper catalog writing codes and numbers with a ball point pen. E. Hille's was considered one of the best sources back then - and it was located in my dad's home town.

Best,

Steve

Are you local to Williamsport? do you prefer brick and mortar or online stores?

For online head over to J Stockards at http://www.jsflyfishing.com they are a sponsor of the site, great prices and great service.

for local, check out McConnell's Country Store in Waterville, or even Slate Run Tackle shop in Slate Run. Also Fly Fishers Paradise and TCO in State College.

No apologies necessary ... I only wrote what I did because I have no idea. There are lots of knowledgeable people on this site ... but I ain't one of them.

I am sure you'll get answers here, on this thread you've started ... just saying you don't have to wait for them.

J Stockard has both items, and their price on a #2 Partridge skin is a good deal. With all the new poly threads available today, you don't really need to use the Silk threads. Veevus Stomach tread is a great thread for soft hackles. As are any of the 3/0 threads from Davnville, and UNI.

Mike,

I would have "liked" your last post, but as a new member I have reached my quota of "likes" without having posted any, lol.

Joe,

I still have family in Warrensville (just outside of Williamsport) and plan to go up to Slate Run in a couple of weeks. I've been to the store in Slate Run and the staff there was extremely helpful. One gentleman there even put backing and line on a new reel for me without my asking; it was done before I knew it.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll be back in PA in June and August and don't need much prompting to explore fly fishing stores. I think I will go with J. Stockard for the short run, though; I'd like to order some supplies and tie some soft hackles before 4/19.

Best,

Steve

J Stockard has both items, and their price on a #2 Partridge skin is a good deal. With all the new poly threads available today, you don't really need to use the Silk threads. Veevus Stomach tread is a great thread for soft hackles. As are any of the 3/0 threads from Davnville, and UNI.

Thank you!

Joe,

I still have family in Warrensville (just outside of Williamsport) and plan to go up to Slate Run in a couple of weeks. I've been to the store in Slate Run and the staff there was extremely helpful. One gentleman there even put backing and line on a new reel for me without my asking; it was done before I knew it.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll be back in PA in June and August and don't need much prompting to explore fly fishing stores. I think I will go with J. Stockard for the short run, though; I'd like to order some supplies and tie some soft hackles before 4/19.

Best,

Steve

I think McConnells and Slate Run tackle are awesome shops. i love stopping at both of them when I am fishing Pine Creek Valley. Slate Run Tackle is an Orvis shop, has a deli, convenience store, gift shop, gas station and post office. McConnells doesnt have the post office but they have ice cream :)

Joe,

Thanks. Slate Run is a nice store, indeed. Just checked out your site - good luck on your venture. When I was up in Canada when I was a kid the pike fishing was awesome. I just made an English bitter (Foster's ESB clone); I'm planning a porter and maybe a stout for Christmas...

Best,

Steve

X2 for Feathercrafts as they have best selection of fly tying materials and much better than jstochard by a long mile!

X2 for Feathercrafts ... much better than jstochard by a long mile!

based on what criteria?

I think that opinion is based only on ones needs, I use several sites. Ebay for partridge skins, you can find them for $12-15 if you search for them, and both Feather-craft and JStockard carry items that the other doesn't have so it's a wash there. Depending on what you're tying there are so many sites out there that carry sooooooo many different materials one could look for days and still not see everything that's out there. That aside, I use J Stockard the most, but if I can't find it there then FC or I have to google it to find a supplier or if it even exists anymore.

Blane

Thanks for the suggestions. I was pleased with J. Stockard (got most of what I wanted for Neme's soft hackles plus I googled some patterns specific for Slate Run in April). I couldn't find grouse body feathers at J. Stockard's but found them at Feather-Craft, etc. I am willing to spread my wealth (such as it is) around! I'm tying "Olive and Partridge" flies tonight in size 10 as a way to ease back into tying on my way (eventually) down to #18's, lol.

Best,

Steve