Fly Tying
Wolfie2nd

nit pick please

i would use epoxy or uv resin over the eyes in the second photo (even if they are super glued on). otherwise.....not bad

Nothing wrong with the eel, it will catch! I like big eyes on flies even if not anatomically correct. They don't hurt the effectiveness of a fly as long as they don't interfere with the hook.

I agree with flytire about protecting the eyes, but don't hinder the hook in the process.

I like my Deceivers a bit longer, with the tail hackle about 2/3 to 3/4 the length of the overall body. It's hard to tell from a picture, but also looks like the bucktail you're using is a bit stiff & flared. When you can, try to get the finest textured hair you can find. It's usually best to hand select it. I don't worry as much about getting long hair as I do finer hair when I buy bucktails. Most tails will have some stiff hair that easily flares at the base of the tail. The upper half to 1/3 is usually the better hair for tying. Some tails will be better than others.

The finer bucktail won't flare as much & will have better movement. It can also be tied sparser because the finer hair being denser will make the fly appear fuller without really being that way. There's a use for the stiffer bucktail that easily flares however. Your Deceivers have a good profile. That flared hair can be used at the very front end, just behind the head to give a higher profile, with the finer hair behind it. I keep the stiffer hair on bucktails for tying flies for Bluefish & for tying very large size jigs and reserve the finest hair for flies. I don't like wasting anything so I find a use for it all.

What you've tied will certainly catch fish!

Flounder love a bait that doesn't move horizontally much, but waves around like crazy. My best ever flounder lure (Back when I did a lot more salt water fishing) was a spoon with a ten inch piece of white leather shoe lace. Thin, long and undulating with every little shift in water flow. You'll catch every flounder in the area with those flies in the second picture.

The only crticism I'd toss out there is about the flies in the first picture... Less is more when using synthetic wings. I was taught to try to tie them so you can almost see through them. Of course that doesn't mean that any fish you toss them in front of won't tear them up anyway.... Tying a sparse synthetic wing is something I struggle with as well from time to time. Now go tear them up with fish...

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

That EP fiber is not fun to work with at least not for me.. I think I'm going to replace them with a few snake flies...

Thanks for your suggestions

Wolfman, you've got some fish catchers. The EP flies look great, although, as mentioned above, you could use about half the material (or less) and they'd swim and cast better. The eel fly is similar to an old RI pattern, the White Water Witch. It's one deadly fly for stripers, but if you're gonna fish it in the surf, it's gonna be a fouling machine without some kind of tail support. Throwing a fly into the surf is like fishing in a washing machine. Any long, flexible tail is gonna get wrapped around the hook repeatedly. If the surf doesn't foul your fly, the wind will. I use a mono loop on all my eel flies, and it cuts the fouling way down. If you're talking about Lou Tabory's snake fly, that's another one that's a notorious fouler - the mono loop will take care of that.

I've had much better luck using GOOP to attach eyes rather than superglue - If you're fishing the rocks, nothing's gonna protect them indefinitely, not even epoxy, but on the beach, the eyes will stay put a lot longer, whether you coat them or not.

The deceivers you've shown will ride near the surface, which can be desirable in some situations, but as Jim mentioned, sparser collars with the finer hair will get them down quicker. I even use calf tail on smaller deceivers because of its lack of buoyancy.

Overall, you've got some good stuff there.