Fly Tying
FlyTieDad

What is your favorite fly to tie to warm up with?

Hey All,

Whenever I sit down to start tying I like to warm up by tying a few flies I'm pretty good at like Red Tag, Nat or a Poly Spinner.

What do you warm up with or what is your favorite fly to tie?

FlyTieDad

i just get all the material out to tie what im gonna tie.

i dont see the need to tie warmup flies if they are not the flies im gonna tie

As soon as I get my sweats and fly tying shoes on I will get back with you. ........sorry, just could not help myself.

I don't warm up, i just tie my regular flies. If it gets too ugly i won't use it. smile.png

But Pattegrisen Light is my goto for seatrouts.

Full dress salmon flies for me. I also power lift at the gym without stretching.

I took a 30 year so break from tying, and my first fly out of the vise second time round was one of the first that I learned:

wolly worm!

The first one I ever tied as a 7th grader was a balck ant. Never did use that pattern, so not my favorite, but did catch tons of trout on the WW and simple variants.

Dave

I just jump right in if I don't like them I take the razor blade to it and start over sometimes I don't like the 10th one or the 20th one the same thing razor blade and start over

Hey All,

Whenever I sit down to start tying I like to warm up by tying a few flies I'm pretty good at like Red Tag, Nat or a Poly Spinner.

What do you warm up with or what is your favorite fly to tie?

FlyTieDad

I don't have a warm-up pattern, but do know that if I will be tying the same pattern in various sizes, I always tie the larger sizes first.

TC

No warm up for me either. I butcher them all equally. So, no need to perfect that.

No warm up for me either. I butcher them all equally. So, no need to perfect that.

X2 LOL...the only thing that needs warmed up is the Coffee by the time I get going they are all equally brutalized :D

My initial thought was the same as most of the others. On reflection, though, I realized that most of the time, I just happen to want to tie something basic ... oops, that sounds like a warm up fly....

What I usually start out with is a size 12 or 14 Catskill with bundled fiber wings and dubbed body. It doesn't really matter which one, they are all basically the same. A light Cahill is probably my favorite, but I'll do a Hendrickson, or a generic sulpher as these are always useful here in the southeast, and I always seem to need a few more in a slightly different color combination.

After the Catskills, I'll switch to whatever else I think I'll need for an upcoming trip.