Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
natedubay

Girly Rod Feather Inlays

Posting a few pics of some rods I did.

First rod I made, this one was for my girlfriend. The rod supplies were in fact my birthday present, so that I could build her a rod... she was hesitant about this new hobby to say the least but now supports it. This is the base of the wrap and the winding check.

post-37716-0-83153600-1367676346_thumb.jpg

Close up of the cree hackle stems and you can see the feathers that are the "leaves" of the flowers wrapping around the side. I did play with having dyed green feathers for the stem, but in the end liked the naturals better.

post-37716-0-65263100-1367676308_thumb.jpg

Close up of flower petals. They are the impossibly small jungle cock nails you find up near the eyes on the skin, basically unusable for tying. Great for inlays. In the middle where the stems all meet, just laid some glitter crystals to cover it up and look like the center of the flower.

post-37716-0-83527700-1367676321_thumb.jpg

Top of inlay, golden pheasant crest and tippet. The tipper really ghosts out on the dark background.

post-37716-0-48580400-1367677132_thumb.jpg

Back side of rod view, flip up hook keeper. Here you can see the "glitter fade" up the rod blending into the rod color. After the inlay was done, she told me it needed more glitter, so here it is...

post-37716-0-23249300-1367676335_thumb.jpg

And a rod I just finished for a 15 year old female cousin for this years trout opener...

post-37716-0-21540200-1367676396_thumb.jpg

Close up shot of head of the bee, other rod section behind.

post-37716-0-44935100-1367676478_thumb.jpg

Shot of the back of the bee, and the hook keeper.

post-37716-0-62899500-1367676440_thumb.jpg

Close up of the flowers. Dyed lady amhearst crest for the flower body, amhearst and golden pheasant tippets for the pistils and stamen on the flowers.

post-37716-0-98934200-1367676379_thumb.jpg

Thanks, when I saw only one or two feathers inlaid, I just thought it was never enough... why not make it into a little picture instead of having a hackle and one jungle cock nail on it. I never really liked the weaves, but wanted to cover the whole butt section. That being said, I probably have as many man- hours in an inlay as it takes to do a weave. Getting the feathers to conform to such a small radius on the blank takes a trick or two... and often several feathers before one works.

I think it is funny that as soon as i saw that hook keeper (and bee) i started thinking, What would a steamer-punk rod look like? I love the gothic look of that keeper.

Yeah the metal work looks interesting. I do like the flowers, you could do bull rushes for a small stream rod etc.

Wow! That is some amazing and artistic work. Lucky girls, getting such pretty rods.

quite creative indeed, i do like these.

Nate I did a feather inlay on one of my personal rods you may really like, but I don't want to steal your post with a pic. If you want to see it let me know I'll PM it to you.

BTW- Nice work.

Steve