Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
coinman66

Carp on a Deceiver

The other day i caught 19 smallies on my 6wt in my local creek. I was throwing a Deceiver fly and doing quite well. Right before i left i decided to take one last cast. I started stripping in streamer and then let it sink for about 3 seconds. I saw line twitch, so i set the hook and thought i had a monster smallie. Low and behold the carp sucked up my Deceiver fly. Id say he would go 4lbs? What fun that fish was! Didnt know carp would hit a baitfish type fly?

post-23191-0-97052500-1367730175_thumb.jpg

Nice surprise! Many years ago, during the winter while fishing or panfish, I caught one on a Beetle Spin. I had cast it up near some downed timber, there was a violent explosion of water & I thought I had hooked a bass. Turned out to be a Carp of about a slightly smaller size than the one you caught. When the winter weather was fairly warm here we often caught Crappies, Bass, Pickerel & the occasional catfish or small Striper on Beetle Spins, but that was a first for me with the Carp. I guess when opportunity allows, they'll eat what's presented. smile.png

UK carp love to predate on fry and even small fish. Many pike anglers using eel section or sprats for baits hook big carp every year.

Carp love crawfish patterns. Those lead eyes are in many patterns, probably took it for that.

They are primarily bottom grubbers but will know all the protein sources in their environment and make most of them.

A few years back I took my spinning rod to the local creek for some smallies. After catching 3 carp on rapala, I gave up and came home. They are oppertunistic, what ever they can fit in their mouth they'll eat sometimes.

Nice carp coinman!