Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
atxdiscgolfer

Tarpon Fly Swap

I went to the keys in April and fished two days. Fishing is great. My understanding from my guide is that the "worm" hatch is in the first part of May. He also said to use a two hand retrieve steadily while fishing the worm.

I hooked up with my tarpon over a deep channel with a full sink line on a Black Death fly that I tied. It broke me off after a twenty minute battle or so. The guide was very fond of the fly ifly is tying but I told him I wanted to use mine. We fished dark flies early and when the sun came up chartreuse. Like a dumbass I jerked the chartreuse fly away from two tarpon. I saw the eat but didn't wait for the pressure. Oh well! I did manage a trophy permit on the same trip but it was not on the fly. I'm having a reproduction made of it. I'm going bone fishing in December I may host a bonefish swap this fall. Ill pm the guys from this swap if I do. They have all been great.

I will be glad to join your bonefish swap when you host it Kudu, i just tied some Gotchas made out of pet hair from my Golden Retriever for the pet hair swap on here

@agn- sorry for the delayed response. Theyre mono eyes by Spirit River in size large I believe

All ready just pm address and ill mail from office Monday.

Glad they arrived safely, I look forward to this set. Thanks for hosting

glad you joined, i think we should all have a nice variety of fly to land us a Tarpon or 2 with the selection in this swap. If everyone is ok with posting their recipe that would be cool so that we can retie some of these and fish them. I have been fishing the flys from the redfish swap that i hosted and i cast a little too far today in a back lake and fortunately was able to retrieve it instead of losing a fellow swap buddys fly.

1/0 SL12S

Medium / Large Bead-chain eyes

Bucktail for some body beneath the tail

4 saddle feathers (2 either side) for tail

Crystal flash over wing

more bucktail over the tail

webby hackle palmered to the eyes...

How's that for a really shoddy SBS

Colours to suit... Some combos that work include all white... All green (Chartruesse and olive is a nice combination), pink and white, red and white.... Black and purple.... You name it really...

Hook: Gama SC17 1/0

Thread: Danville Flatwaxed

Tail: Black Finn Raccoon

Flash: Blue Krystal Flash

Body: Purple Rabbit zonker

For the tail, tie in a clump of finn raccoon and post the tail with a few wraps around the base, this helps prevent fouling. Add flash on top and another clump over that.