Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
atxdiscgolfer

Tarpon Fly Swap

Thanks Joe! I have really been doing well on the wedding veil fly. I like it a lot. I hope you got to fish this weekend. My son and I went out today. I did very well in shell cracker on the stealth bomber with a dropper. Frying fish for supper tomorrow. Btw I sent the wedding veil fly to steel drifter and he caught a pike on it. We don't have pike here.

JaxFlytyer- good to hear that your ok from that hurricane that went through there and cant wait to check out those toads

Kudu- i wish i could say that i had gone fishing but i cant, my 6 month old daughter and my wife had weekend planned out for me

I am going to try and get back down to the coast soon though, i joined the CCA last week and they have the Star Texas Tournament where they tag different species and give out BIG prizes for catching 1. A friend of ours won a boat last yr for catching a tagged Flounder, they tag so many fish for each area, pretty nice of you are lucky enough to catch 1 if not CCA is a great organization that you are giving $ to.

Atx

wife and daughter outing sounds more fun than fishing for Father's Day anyway. My son,7, and I had a blast fishing yesterday. After my 4 year old daughter brought out breakfast to me while wearing an apron. Cutest thing you ever saw. I just noticed you wanted a recipe for the tarpon flies, so here it goes

Black Death

2/0 Gama Saltwater Hook

Heavy black thread I think mine was 210 Danvilles not sure also use UTC and Veevus

Red Magnum Rabbit Strip tail make sure to do a snarfle guard to prevent fouling

Black Magnum Strip collar

UV, CCG, to cover thread strips for a neat durable finish

Simple, easy, effective!

The box came back to me in the mail today...will get them out for good tomorrow.

Recipe:

Tail: black craft fur

Body: black laser dub

Collar: black spun deer hair (stuff was a pain, mine would not flare)

Eyes: mono eyes from spirit river

Thanks, and sorry for not being in touch. I was down in Costa Rica for over a week and just got back a couple days ago. Been catching up on work and other things.

MIne are in the mail, but they didn't get picked up until late Wednesday. You got the last ones in a day, so look for them on Friday.

Thanks for letting me know atx. Ill admit the deer hair job was not the best I've done. The patch I got didnt want to flare when tightened at all. Don't know what the deal was. But it'll get the job done either way. And no I didn't get to fish down there. I wish I could have but we were constantly moving around and had a full schedule...oh well. Ill be back to fish one day that's for sure. And thanks for hosting atx