Fly Tying
feathers

float tubes

My white river phat tube and flipper combo came Saturday, so before I head out there and look like a a$$, I was wondering if the members who have experience using tubes can share their pro's and cons, their do's and don'ts. One of the neighbors at the local bar told me weight has alot to do with stability, I weigh 117 pounds, so could someone tell me if this is true? Cause my brothers bust on me when its real windy here to put rocks in my pockets now, so I don't blow away, I don't want to float into another state..hehe...

thanks

feathers

Hi Feathers,

Congrats on getting your new tube. I'm sure you'll love fishing from it. As you'll discover tubes are generally light weight, highly portable and can give you access to a lot of water that can't easily be reached from shore. My advise is to be careful getting into and out of your tube when wearing your fins. I've had a few close calls and know of others who have fallen in the spring when the water is icy cold. If your fishing during a colder part of the season, avoid tightening the straps too much on your fins. The increased pressure from overtightening can reduce circulation and cause your feet to get cold quickly. I would also suggest avoiding windy conditions and fishing well sheltered bays or areas of the lake. Tubes are great for stealthy presentations and hands free operation but it takes a lot of work to go anywhere against the wind. Finally, have a patch kit thats works. I had several on hand once but all were faulty because they had frozen on previous trips. When the time came to use it, we couldn't and had to make a special trip back into town to find a substitute. Happy tubbing!

All the best,

Shep

P.S. I think you will find the tube to be quite stable. I've never heard of someone tipping their tube under normal conditions. One last thing... avoid tubing for shark wink.gif

Wind can be a real bummer in a tube, or even a boat for that matter, but in a tube, you need to rely on your legs to get you where you want to go. I wouldn't reccommend going out on big water in a tube. It will be wet, and it may be a very long walk back if you get blown to the other side(It's happened to me)

BTW I thought I would share this with you as well.

post-2-1105972914.jpg

You'll love your tube, they're a lot of fun.....especially on a hot summer day! If your fins have an enclosed footpocket, take a 1/4-1/2" drill bit and punch in two holes down by the toes, this will break the suction when you are trying to pull your fins off. tie some nylon cord around the heel strap off your fins, this will aid in pullin them on/off, especially w/cold hands. When you are entering the water, it is easier to wade in up to about your knees (if you have a firm bottom) and then put your fins on. If the bottom is soft, you might be better off putting them on before entering the water. Wlak backwards w/the fins on, less chance of catrching the front of the fin on something and tripping you. i prefer a 9'+ rod when fishing out of my tube......less dragging of the backcast on the water behind you.....

enjoy,

Mike

Got mine last summer and it was great. At 225 the wind blew me around too. It just comes down to prctice like anything else. Check out the fly fishing forum. I got a lot of useful info there last year and a lot of things I would not have thought about regarding safety in rivers. There are a lot of threads on tubes and rafts ass well as kyaks.

Ted

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I've been float tubing for several years and love it. I do fish some big water but break it down into little water, fish the coves and inlets. I allways try to know where there are different places to pull out incase of an emergency, i.e. tube loses air. Not that it's a common accurance but it's allways good to know your surroundings. Other then that the others have allready covered the main issues.

Have fun with it!

Jim

Hi Feathers,

I very much enjoy float tube fishing. Get a set of ankle straps to keep from losing a fin if it slips off in the shoreline mud or out in the lake. Wear a super shorty vest or no vest, wear waders that come high up in the back, this is where you will get wet. I keep an emergency co2 device to re-inflate on the water, never used it, luckily. This may sound weird, I keep a square shaped foam life preserver (floatation device looks like a thick plastic covered seat cushion) to sit on, gets me up a little higher on the water, and you can actually pee without going to shore. This is important if you located the underwater channel where the fish are and they’re biting. Something about the cold water all around you excites the bladder, maybe I’m just getting old. Don’t get in the habit of just sitting and trolling with the wind, the current is going the same direction as you and the fly has little action. Try and work submerged structure sideways to the way you are drifting. The wind in the Sierras’ often blows very hard all afternoon and it can be a lot of work just holding onto a position and not drifting. After hours of this I often get leg cramps in my calf’s and it is real painful. If you get it in both legs you’re at the mercy of the wind for a few minutes. If you plan on mountain biking into a back country lake, it’s much easier to fill a backpack with gear and inflate the tube once at the lake, and de-flate before riding out. If it’s a short hike I’d probably carry it inflated, and there are straps made just for this purpose. I know you will enjoy tubing, it can be very peaceful and relaxing.

Graham

Hadn't used my tube in years but I do remember that first time out. Not enough air in the tube, water over the back of the waders, it was a learning experience. tongue.gif Once I worked out the kinks, I loved it. Just remember to dress warm. The leg cramps can set set in after you're in the water a few hours.

-Bamboo

Feathers,

I just remembered a couple more things. I use a high volume hand pump to inflate my tube. Its about 4 inches in diameter and inflates on both the push and pull strokes. As a result, it doesn't take too long to inflate (a couple minutes max). I've used the tiny compressors that plug into the ash tray as well. They tend to be high pressure and low volume (to pump up car tires). The electric pump was noisier, took longer, and I eventually burnt out a couple so I gave up on them. Also, be careful not to over inflate your tube, especially if your using a compressor as it can definitely blow a seam. This can also happen if you leave your tube inflated and throw it in your vehicle on a hot sunny day. The air in the tube will expand over time an may rip out the stitching. It best to deflate the tube slightly when travelling.

Cheers,

Shep

I use the same big pump as Shep, even pack it to remote lakes. Makes pumping much easier and faster. Another think I really like on my tube is the Fishin Buddy fish finder. Works great for finding underwater structure such as channels in the lake. I don't pack that though. For my Caddis float tube I bought the mesh breathable Caddis float tube bag, this will hold the tube, large pump and fins. If you put some foam pipe insulation on the handles this bag works well as a back pack for biking. I put my waders and gishing gear on the mountain hardware rack on the back. I rigged up my bike to carry 2 4pc rods below the handle bars. Sometimes I bungee the rods to the caddis bag. All this talk of float tubing makes me want to go. But work is in the schedule this week, even though it's in the mid 80's this week in Ca.

One of the main reasons I bought the tube was I archery hunt an old farm and on this property is a pond, about 30 acres give or take a few, and on the back side as I walk around this pond, the water is crystal clear that you can see the bottom...I see these trout swimming around like submarines, in the evening as I am walking out from my stand, the pond starts to explode with these fish jumping for their dinner...I own a ranger boat, I can't get my boat to this pond...The farmer told me I could open the logging road up to take my boat back there, but I don't want to disturb his property, I wouldn't want anyone cutting trees on mine...

The history of this pond from what he told me is this: He used to raise trout for the State for their stocking program in the late 80's and shut down his business affairs with the fish commission in 94 when his wife died...So no one has ever fished this pond...

So from all your replies with hints and suggestions, I can't wait for the ice to melt off this pond to see what I actually hook onto...He told me on the cliff side of the pond is a old creek bed and he said when he use to shock the pond to take out the breeders for the state on that side of the pond was always the biggest fish...

Thanks again for all of your help...

feathers

Wind is easier to deal with in a floattube, regardless of the weight. There is less surface area than a regualr boat or canoe. Sure it takes some work, but it's a labor of love...

Buy a float tube handled net (a net with a long handle). Many times the large fish will be tough to land even though you are close to their level.

Becareful you don't fall asleep in and miss the fishing, no one mentioned how comfortable they are.

Interesting comment on taking a leak...I still will not roll down my waders unless on shore; nor will my wife...I asked her after reading this.

Questions.....

What are points of construction, design etc. would one look for in a tube? There is no question in my mind that a tube purchase is in store in the near future, but as I would be getting it from Ebay, I want to make the best possible choice.

The only thing I know is that I would be looking for a U shaped tube over a round one. Any other tips? Makes, features to look for or avoid?

Art

Here is what I would add that I don't believe has been said.

I would make sure your wading boots fit and I would still wear another pair of socks, I have done a few long days back to back in mine and had large blisters form from the little movement that was in my boot from kicking around the lake.

The only other thing that I would suggest, is becoming comfortable with how to get out of your boat if need be.

O yea the longer the rod the better!!! Have fun I love mine....and watching the look on the faces of baitfisherman as you cruise on by is priceless.