Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kudu

Campfire Trout Recipes

I remember a thread involving fish recipes but I wanted to refine the query somewhat. My son and I will be camping out and fishing my local tailwaters once the Corps lets up on the generation. Must not be one fisherman in the Corps by the way. We will be enjoying some of the trout we catch (I am an optimist) No wild trout will be harmed. This is an excellent fishery but the trout are 100% stocked and do not reproduce.

By the way, on the old thread Panama Red posted pics that still have me drooling. Im outta here its lunch time and Im hungry.

Shove a stick down their throat and roast em over the open flame. Little vinegar on them after to cool it down a bit and you're all set, best tastin trout you'll ever eat imo.

Cheers

I love to put onion and lemon slices a pat of butter and some cayenne pepper in their stomach opening wrap in foil sealed tightly then throw them under the coals and let them cook in a seperate foil put some cubed red skin potatoes garlic onions and butter with some parsley and put them in the coals also for a great side dish

I confess I have not had a good fresh fish biscuit in awhile....When I go camping I make Buttermilk Biscuits and split them, add Garlic Butter, and individually wrap them. Scale it, Cook it, and it gets a Biscuit. Minimalist but Simple Inexpensive and always tasty!

Since most of Colorado is filled with big dandilions i just clean them stuff them with dandilion and some salt & pepper (if i have it) carefully wrap in tin-foil to get tight seal. Toss it in the coals for 15 minutes then cool a few minutes, open and serve...realy great if you bring a lemon to add.

Or i roll them in corn-flour and regular flour mix and fry them in a little butter. Salt and pepper to taste and drench in lemon juice.

Can't go wrong either way with trout. The dandilions make a great moisture control and are kinda good to eat steamed in there.

Take a newspaper, start a fire, Catch your fish. Wrap in newspaper, soak in river, put wrapped fish onto fire. When the newspaper starts to burn take it off the fire unwrap and eat with fingers.

Cheers,

C.

Take a newspaper, start a fire, Catch your fish. Wrap in newspaper, soak in river, put wrapped fish onto fire. When the newspaper starts to burn take it off the fire unwrap and eat with fingers.

Cheers,

C.

um how many fingers do you serve with a trout? I know if your serving ears its one per fish :lol:

Haha. If you're lucky you'll find some wild garlic and mushrooms to have with the trout. Please be very careful picking shrums and only eat what you absolutely know to be safe.

Fire

Skillet

Bacon

Trout

In that order

Wild ones taste better than stockies.

I will not apologize for eating a couple wild trout.

No apology necessary. Curious though as someone who has never eaten a wild trout, no wild trout in Kentucky, how are they better?

Oh Dan we will have to remedy that in September wild trout spend their entire life trying to find food and sometimes going hungry thus causing a leaner trout and as the story goes you are what you eat trout pellets are just fat foods like mcdonalds to human where as wild trout eat the variety of health foods its like comparing pheasant to chicken

Yeah wild fish taste superb. Some stockies can be ok if lean but many have a fattyness to them that you notice if you've eaten wild. Same with pellet feed cage salmon and TRUE river run fish.

sounds good. Im working on my Michigan trip currently. My buddy just needs to quit listening to his wife and take some time off and let me know when he can go. I bet they taste good with grouse. Fried grouse and oysters is a Christmas tradition with the father in law. Woodcocks, ugh! Im willing to try them again but it has been rough trying to choke em down.