Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Goldenflies

Never wet?

Holy Smokes !!!

Click on your region under "Consumers" and you'll get a link to a Home Depot demonstration. Pouring syrup, ketchup and chocolate ice cream topping onto that board and watching it just slide right off. This stuff is amazing!

I have not tried it on dry flies, but I will be buying some next time I go to Home Depot.

That is a pretty cool demo. I've been using Water Shed on my wingless Adams flies but after a bit of bluegill slime they aren't what they used to be until they are all dried out again. This may be worth looking into.

go buy some, apply it to your dry flies, do a test against other floatants and report the results

flytire; I like the way you think. I may have to do just that.

Well, I purchased some yesterday so that I can give it the ol' college try. I think I am going to spray a half dozen flies with it and do a test to see what I can't find out and post for my fellow tiers.

Pretty cool but I don't think it will work well on flies due to its milky white 2nd coats. It only deigned to work on hard non porous surfaces.

That looks like it would work but I still have most of a spray can full of Meltonian Water Repellent I picked up at a Dollar Store. I just stick my new Dry Flies in some foam, take them outside and spray them heavily, and let them dry in the Sun...they float better than a bobber!

I did purchase this about 2 1/2 weeks ago and wanted to test it out on something different. So I chose a Kleenex. And yes, it works! I can dunk the whole tissue in a cup of water and pull it out dry. However, if I do it multiple times it will start to hold some water. My guess is because I didn't get it covered well. Which makes sense to me because you can't see where you have and have not sprayed on a Kleenex. I will see if I can post a video of it.

That would be cool to watch. It finally stopped raining here so I will have plenty of sun to dry some flies in tomorrow!! Here's hoping I didn't blow $20 for a geewhiz type deal!!

Goldenflies- I'm curious, any findings on this product? I currently use the homemade naphtha / wax combo to per- treat flies but would be interested tower if this stuff works well. Thanks!

At $25.97 here at Home Depot in Canada plus 13% in taxes plus the cost of gas to get to Home Depot I think I will stay with the 12 store bought floatants. I also make my own floatant which is probably the best.

There are many tricks to catch the fisherman.

I am satisfied where I am.

from a review on the products own website

Don't expect to put this on literally everything, though, the cans say on them "contents contain a chemical known to cause cancer and birth defects". So be wary when you are using this product and ALWAYS WEAR GLOVES & A RESPIRATOR!

true or not, those 2 sentences is enough to keep it out of my house and away from my flies.

+ everything you want to apply it to needs a base coat and then a top coat.

i'll stick to nymphing and streamers thank you