Fly Tying
AOProducer

Experimental Fly Tying Video - Annoying or Cool?

Okay this is pretty much a first attempt so definitely wanting some feedback.

I go back and forth - sometimes I think it's really cool and then I think it's really annoying. Have you seen anything like this?

What do you like and what do you not like about it? Your input would be really appreciated before shooting any more.

Its very well shot and different from normal. I love to know how its done. Is it similar to the rotating flies done from photos? For me the rotating effect shouldn't continue throughout the tying. If you are trying to convey how to then it needs to be static. Like the introduction of the materials, though you could have ready cut the foam at that stage, the big piece looks a bit untidy. Anyway I think it is quite a piece of work. Use the effect in moderation and I think you are onto a winner.

Over all, cool effect, very well done, but please not so much of it.

Cheers,

C.

Uuurp ... I've got to go throw up.

Okay, I am back. I watched the whole video, and , well, you know what happened.

Do a few moves, then spin the camera around once, or spin it part way and do another procedure. But that constantly spinning ... uuurp, be back later.

Ummm, I agree. Cool, but a bit dizzy from watching. I also was too busy trying to figure out how the heck you did that to really appreciate the tying. How the heck did you do that?

Excellent video, minus all the spinning..as you get older it seems to make you dizzy!! but getting the full rotation to be able to see from different angles is nice

Similar to what others have said, cool effects but gets a bit much. Personally I think it is a helpful technique at times. Sometimes when people tie flies it would be good to know what it looks like from different perspectives, but not constantly throughout the video. That gets a bit dizzying and doesn't add anything beyond being a cool effect. With some flies I'd like to see what it looks like above and below as well as around.

My guess is that the vise is surrounded by the white background and the camera is spinning around a stationary vise that you are tying on. Would be interested to see the set-up.

Ah!....you have bought the term "rotary fly vise" to another meaning.

I got vertigo about mid video and had to look away.

Did you have to practice tying from above like that and reaching over the screen, so the camera can rotate around the vice under you?

Fly tyers don't tie on turntables so this video just doesn't do much for me. I don't even see the purpose in tying flies this way. Sorry but I couldn't even finish the video and would not want to watch another if tied this way.

Interesting viewpoint but too hard to watch continuously. If I had to say why...probably because I'm so used to staring at a stationary vise for so long it just felt weird!