Fly Tying
tctrout

October Flies from the Vise

Yeah those blue charms are awesome, that squirrel wing is my fave! Very nicely executed

Enjoyed Eides red bodied fly so added some red to my armoury.

post-42518-0-26583500-1381659247_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-15740900-1381659254_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-20362900-1381659261_thumb.jpg

And some other stuff

Not sure if the tail will be a twister, hope not

post-42518-0-78061800-1381659303_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-77626200-1381659313_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-93674800-1381659320_thumb.jpg

Here's the tying instructions/materials for George Daniel's Czech Catnip. This is a great anchor fly if you fish Czech-style; otherwise, I love to fish it during high water and when I'm in search mode. Enjoy!

TC

Pete very nice work as usual. I was wondering if that is the new Fine point jaws for the Norvise? I was looking at getting those but not sure if it was worth it as I already have the old set.

Yes... they are Norm's NEW offering... and my new Nor-favourite...

I got my first Norvise with the smaller freshwater chassis and inline jawz from Norm at the Marlboro Show way back in he 1900's (maybe '78) and, a year or so later, talked myself into the larger inertia chassis and corresponding inline saltwater version... NO regrets... and still going strong...

The latest Fine Point evolution is a big improvement on the original, holds tenaciously, offers impressive hook access, is easily adjustable for true rotary operation on everything I can throw at it, and it still spins like a top...

'made to retrofit the small chassis only, I have put the bug in Norm's ear that a larger version to fit the large chassis might not be a bad idea...

[FYI: The Right Honourable Mr Norlander is currently planning to attend the Marlboro and Somerset shows this coming January... I do so enjoy watching him spin straw into gold... weshallsee...

Small hooks can be secured near the working tip while larger hooks [which transmit greater leverage] are best deep seated...

F70A1465_zpsa5be30a1.jpg

While I confess to a serious Vise Vice, my well seasoned and reliable Norvise will always find it's way into the rotation... in more ways than one...

F70A1896_zps80a52bf0.jpg

Saw a video for a fly called the Wascally Wabbit. I decided to have a go adapting it for Perch. Added silver holoflash under the rabbit wing, wound a red marabou collar, then a Schlappen hackle, peacock herl back and a UTC pearl mylar later line on each side

Wascallywabbitvariant_zps7a60a57b.jpg

Dark, drab intruder type, sparse to cut through the current and have room for motion - i can tell on the swing it will have the appearance of bulk. Slight alaskan haze flash, should have doubled up on the tented hackle tips tho!

post-29540-0-21851300-1381871447_thumb.jpg

Extended hope, considered adding jc instead of tungsten eyes but this should swing, also considered some longer hackle at the front.

post-29540-0-80454600-1381951849_thumb.jpg