Fly Tying
bentflyrod

SECRET SANTA SWAP 2013!!!!!!!

Thank you Crotalus, fabulous set of flies and the box is deeply appreciated. Merry Christmas to you and yours. I will have to wIt till spring to try them out:( Cheers!!!!

And since we don't do much for gifts much anymore the gift from Flyunder was the most exciting under our mini tree. Thank you.

Tim it was another great Christmas in the Boss house and one of the Highlights for me was the great set of flies from Will I can't wait for ice out to get some of these into the beaks of some early spring chrome thanks for hosting again this year you always pull it off great and as a side note if your interested in selling one of those tactical tomahawks pm me

You are quite welcome vic, the nymph with tan/yellowish u v chewee skin back works very well as a dropper off of the caddis dries when the caddis are on the water. I like to hop the dry around on the surface and the nymph acts as an anchor, that can get really exciting. The nymph takes it's share doing this as well. I hope you do well with the flies.

Wishing you all the best for the holiday & the coming new year,

Jack

Santa looked into his "crystal ball" and saw just what kind of flies I could use. Then he got word to Kudu on just what I would like. Thanks Santa and Kudu. Unlike some, I will be able to use these right away. There is plenty of fishing going on right now down here in the "tropics."

Thanks again, great set of flies for many different things.

Thanks for the compliment utyer. The wedding veil may be my favorite fly. Agn thanks for the flies. They will be traveling next month to San Diego where I will fish a couple of days. Wishing everyone a Christmas and a huge fish in the new year! BFR a special thanks for your efforts and I hope you enjoyed the bourbon balls they are a tradition here and not everyone likes them. I happen to love them!

I should mention that along with the great flies I got a perfect vest sized flybox to use them in. Flyunder, I'll keep the trick in mind but I also like to use a bigger bead head in front of one of those mini-nymphs you had in there. Just tag it about 12" behind or so and let bigger bead head get them down to paydirt.

Vic, that's exactly what I do.All the beads are tungsten. .the size 14's are wrapped with an underbody of lead tape along with the tungsten so they're heavy and will get you down where you want to be. The 20's are tungsten as well. On the woven nymphs I tried a more open weave so the under body color would give it a two tone effect.

Thank you Jolly Red for a fantastic set of bluegill flys! I call myself a trout fisherman, but it does not take much to get me chasing gills once the summer warms up. These flys will be used a lot! And the cool little fly box is fantastic. I hope you won't mind if I borrow that idea and make a few more.

Also, Santa included a few extra flys that will be adorning my Christmas tree every year :) Tim, thanks again for hosting the best swap of the year and for making the holdidays special for us all!

Mike.

Thanks Sully for the tying materials, fly box and flies. This an assortment for just about anything I can fish for. Merry Christmas to you and Thanks to BFR for another great Secret Santa event.

I scored really, really BIG time with the Secret Santa Swap this year. I received a set of flies from one of the VERY best tiers on the forum, and that is saying a lot. This year I received a beautiful set of flies from Flygirl, the Helen Shaw of the Forum! And they couldn't have come at a better time. This year for Christmas, my wonderful wife gave me a guided fishing trip on one of the few trout streams we have here in SC. Along the SC, NC, Ga line there is, in SC, what is known as the "Blue Ridge Escarpment" which means the last range of mountains before they change to foothills. As you approach the Escarpment, it looks like a blue wall in the distance. In those very last mountains run two rivers, the Chattooga (where the movie "Deliverance" was filmed) and the Chauga. Just recently a fellow from up North, (Delaware?, Somewhere) has opened a guide service on those 2 rivers. I had talked to the guide and told him that if I ever got the money together, I was going to take a trip with him as guide and my goal was for him to teach me as much as he possibly could about reading the water and knowing where in a stream to fish, and he said he would be glad to do that. I told my wife about it, and without me knowing anything about it, she has paid the fees. All I have to do is choose a day to go and let the guide know. The surprising thing to me is that right now is the best time of the year to fish. Mayflies are hatching. In November the guide said they were hitting Blue Wing Olives, and more recently nymphs & streamers. Just before Christmas he said that a large amount of big fish were being taken. So Flygirl's flies couldn't have come at a better time. Thanks, Flygirl! And I hope you had a merry Christmas and will enjoy a healthy & happy New Year!

breambuster...LOL....thanks for the compliments . I'm so glad you'll be able to use them. Be sure to let us know how you make out on your trip.

I got an awesome set of flies from Herman, I will be able to use ALL of them on my river....I just have to wait for the temps to go up alittle bit (wimp).

Hope everyone had a Happy Holiday. !