Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Markbob

Craft Store Glass beads

Anyone tried these? They seem a lot cheaper than what is for sale at my LFS. Lots of pretty colors too.

I have about 20,000. WAY more than I will ever use. I have used hundreds if not thousands of them ALL from craft stores, Walmart, or yard sales. I have never purchased any from a fly shop. I make bead heads for tiny nymphs, and midges, and I slide them on my burnt mono eyes to build them up a little, and to create a two tone eye. Nail polish on the front, and an orange or green bead makes a good eye for a shrimp or crab.

I use them as well, but often finding the exact size you want can be tricky. Hobby Lobby usually has them on 50% about once a month. I have enough for about... oh, 4 lifetimes.

they break easier than the metal ones when errant casting hit objects harder than glass

i do use them sporadically but i usually stick with the metal beads

Never use glass beads but have used the plastic ones on articulated patterns -- usually pearl ones.

Basically, being of the prebead, OF suasion I only used metal beads to go deep! They work very well in that mode and the tungsten are the best.

Looking at the array of beaded flies now I almost expect dries to have beads.

Rocco

Craft store have an amazing amount of 'stuff' we can use. Just take a few hooks with you to assure they will 'fit.' You need a very round bend in your hook to slide them on.

The book you need is , "Tying Glass Bead Flies", by Joe Warren. I love the Glow Bugs and Surf bugs for Pompano. The nymphs work great for trout in slow clear water too.