Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
markle52

First Vise - thanks to the Forum

I am new to the fly tying pastime but I've been considering it for over two years. I was hesitant at spending too much money on the deal and later find out it was just a passing fancy, but after nearly 2 years I've still been reading about it, watching tying videos, etc and the bug (pardon the pun) is still there. But I'm not ready for a Peak, Regal or other high dollar vise. I have been reading the Forum for nearly 3 months now, along with other resources, on good beginner's vise. Had narrowed it down to a Regal clone from Bass Pro, possibly a Thompson AA knockoff, and all the way up to a Griffin Odessey Spider or an Anvil Apex as my higher-end options. After reading some info yesterday about another newbie asking for first vise information, one of the comments had a link to an ebay Thompson Pro vise - an official D H Thomspon, not the Indian knock-off. Got to scanning the ebay market for all sorts of vises including one of two new, never used DH Thompson Pro vises - one for $25 and one for $30. I figured after all my angst, I couldn't go wrong with the "standard basic vise" that everyone says they learned on. Pulled the trigger on the $25 Pro after negotiating with the seller to drop it to $20! Comes in next week and I'm already working on my list of tools and threads. I am ready to tie! Thanks to the Forum for the valuable resource that it is for us new guys as well, I'm sure, for you long-timers.

Thompson made good, solid vises. Many of us learned on them. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. (I still have my first Thompson, in a drawer somewhere.)

Above all, have fun tying!

A good price! And, a good start. I'm sure you'll get many,many hours of enjoyment using that vise. I started that way, and have had a few of the higher end vises, but ended up with a Regal Medallion after figuring out that I din"t really really need all the bells and whistles, just a good, solid platform to hold the hook. A $900 vise isn't going to make you a better tier. It's you winding the fur and feathers onto the hook, not the vise.

I've been tying for 15 years and still use the vise I bought when I first started for $14.99. I'm too cheap to buy another one when this one works for me...haha

Good for you, I just started also, maybe two months ago.... I have already visited the fly shop a half dozen times and have ordered another half dozen time from on-line stores.... its fun though hahahha

Let the spending begin!!

Congrats on the new vice. All the vice does is hold a hook, so if that basic job is performed well, the price of the vice is irrelevant. And with the money saved, you'll be able to be more material. And more. And more. And..... yea, the addiction can really be that bad. :-)

and the angels cried and sang out telling all the heavens that another life was lost to the addiction be prepared to never have another free dime or a life savings :lol: way to go on the new vise be sure to post some pics of flies you tie on it

You could spend a lot more and still not get a "better" vise. Believe us when we tell you you WILL spend a lot more.