Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peterjay

2014 Tarpon Rookie Competition

Nah, all caffeine does is keep you awake while you're screwing up. If some idiot jock wants to ruin his health and disgrace himself, it's all the same to me; I take sports about as seriously as I do a Seinfeld rerun. The DQ'ed villains are there because of the fact that they not only lied through their teeth, they spent years trying to ruin people who told the truth. To borrow a phrase from Michael Douglas, they're "lower than the deepest layer of prehistoric frog shit at the bottom of a New Jersey scum swamp." We expect this contest to be riddled with liars, (after all, we're fishermen) but none of us expect anybody to believe us anyway, and we're not afraid to stand up when we're caught. This might be a disreputable crew, but there isn't a phony in the lot.

Speaking of which: hey Ray, I don't see your name on the list of entries - you're only a 9-hour drive away, and we don't even have a police force in Wachapreague, so you'd be fairly safe here.

OK, Skimmer, you're in - you can handle the pressure if I can. Give me a shout when you come down this summer - we can get together and hammer a few 100-pounders. (there are always reds if the weather turns sour) I know of a couple spots where the 'poons were pretty thick this past year, (not out of the well-known village) and according to my spies, a lot of them were in the 150-pound range. You sound to me like a man who can keep a secret, and I don't tell anybody anything. I'm in heaven down here, and I'm not gonna be the one who tips off the crowds.

What tarpon?

I'm good with secrets. Besides, I lost any shred of credibility I had with my fishing buds when I started fishing for them in the first place. A hundred pounder sounds great. Hell, I would take a fishless hot day in the sun at this point. 7 degrees right now, off to fire up the snowblower.

If you recall PJ, I snapped this photo of Mikechell last year. It seems as if he has sold his "fish story" more times then once.

the-fish-car_zpsfddb7aab.jpg

Actually Peterjay I am planning to actually spend some time in some Real tarpon country one of these days and I will be able to show all the wanna be's the proper way to release these jumpers.

Ditz, don't come today - It's more like polar bear country. (18 degrees with blowing snow) It's all I can do to get the dogs off the doorstep. Spring can't get here soon enough to suit me.

I appreciate the allowance into the tourney this year. I was just talking to my parol confidante about how much fun it was last year. We were coming back from out of State and talking through the grating between the front and rear seats.

It's going to be a little harder for me this year ... my company is sending me to Chicago instead of Massachusetts. But I hear the sewers give up some good creatures if you know where to look !!!

Oh ... and that tarpon-mobile was a rental ... it came with the tux.

Mike, if you can find tarpon in Boston, Chicago should be no sweat for a fly fishing pioneer like yourself. I'll bet Lake Michigan teems with the damn things. Somebody must make an ice fishing 12wt.

I've heard of guys catching crappie and large blue gills in retention ponds but that is ridiculous. I guess that guy can now claim his property is waterfront

That must be the well known sewer bass. And I thought it was a myth for all these years. I now see why the tarpon is C&R only. Gaffing is no longer an issue. Now it is "Grateing".

I'm jealous; we don't have sewer bass here on the Shore. The guy who drives the trash collection truck plays the bass guitar - that's about as close as we get. The fact that we don't have sewers probably also has something to do with it. Hell, we don't even have fresh water.

Here in Panama City Florida we tip the lids on septic tanks…you do what you have to do.

post-27925-0-16071900-1390595489_thumb.jpg

Some times we noodle for brown trout.

post-27925-0-67647600-1390595536_thumb.jpg

Sometimes this can lead to problems…blink.png

post-27925-0-43707000-1390595589_thumb.jpg