Fly Tying
flats4life32

Flies for Crappie

I still consider my self as a beginner at tying flies. I am looking at trying to tie some fresh water flies for blue gill and brim. Now that the water temp has dropped here in the Orlando Florida area the Crappie are running. I like how they fight on a ultra lite rod and reel and would love to catch them on a fly. Does any body have any ideas on a fly to make for Crappie fishing?

You could tie some that mimic crappy jigs. Tail of marabou, wrap chenille for the body and put a bead head. Maybe add some lead wire before wrapping the chenille for weight. One popular one here in Florida is the marabou miss. The recipe is tail: chartreuse marabou and krystal flash, body: white or chartreuse chenille, wing: chartreuse marabou. It's often best to weight this with lead wire as well. There are numerous other possibilities. Any small minnow pattern could work.

I know they like small minnows. I've caught them on small streamers I make. Basically, its a clouser with beadchain eyes instead of the dumbell ones. I tie in one batch of hair at the bend of the hook, then wrap tinsel up to the beadchain. After this I add the same color hair above the beadchain with some flash material. Finally, I cut the hair to the same length.

White or Chartreuse I do well on. Even for bass. I usually tie them in size 10, sometimes 8...

The Stayner Ducktail.

Joe

Joe, Do you fish that for crappie and trout? It looks like it would work for a lot of fish. Nice pattern.

Bruce

Tie up something that mimics a grass shrimp without weight, let it sink slowly into the school and barely twitch it, should slay them.

Hi, Bruce.

I have mostly used it in warm water, although I have tried it a couple of times in mountain lakes and caught some trout, which is what it was designed for, I think. It is the best fly I have ever used for bass, bream, crappie, sand bass, pretty much anything that eats. I've also put a bead on it to get it a little deeper quicker.

Joe

Hey y'all. I saw a fly that looked like a perch's eyeball that works great! I only wish I could remember where I saw it. Try hipwader.com/2004/eye-fly-pattern. This looks similar, but what I use is simpler.

There is a reason Crappie are also known as Papermouth. For Crappies I prefer Clousers and other flies that swim inverted. The hookset in the top of the mouth has given me the best hold. Black over chartreuse for me.