Fly Tying
Nbing

Would you fish it?

Hey guys! just getting back into the fly tying game after a short break. Wanted to know if these ties would catch some fish. the bigger fly is a 12 and the smaller is a 14.. For some reason I always leave a gap in between the bead head and the peacock hearl, anybody have tips on how to fix that? Does it affect anything? Thanks! I look forward to all the info on this new forum!

20140314_160907_zpse2be71b1.jpg

20140314_160819_zps6b24d8c1.jpg

20140314_160746_zps5fe2ca7c.jpg

20140314_155530_zps89868f86.jpg

20140314_155509_zpsa420a02f.jpg

yes of course fish it.... you can catch fish on a bit of dryer lint bound to a hook so that will do just fine.

First: What are you trying to catch. If I remember some of these guys flies, 12 and 14 might be a tad large. So, it you're going for small fish, they might not work (Joking).

Second, you only need about three wraps, then a whip finish, then some head cement. If done correctly, almost all of that can will be right up against the bead. But I've watched videos where they use the thread to fill in that area, so yours isn't all that out of the ordinary.

Ha ha thanks guys! Are the legs optional? Do you prefer them for the movement in the water or do you find they just fall off after a bite. Tomorrow I'm going to try smaller sizes for my trip monday

tes i would fish them. if you dont want to fish them my address is 252 old canter..........

Those will definitely catch fish. I noticed the bead on the first one is kind of messed up. For the gap you could use some dubbing.

I have heard tell of folks using Chicken Liver and cheese to fish with Sure I would fish with them

No need to worry about the space between the herl and the bead. Actually you could use a red / orange thread to tie with and call it a 'hotspot'. Some people add them intentionally. Tails might be a bit long but otherwise proportions looks pretty good.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was practicing a ton last night. here's the what the latest ones are looking like, I got rid of all that extra thread, it turns out I was always adding to many wraps before whip finishing. These are a smaller size than the ones before

20140315_104638_zpsb0c1a87e.jpg

20140315_104624_zpsdd8f1426.jpg

I guess the best way to learn is to just keep tying!

I have tied for many years and tie reasonably well. One of my fishing partners has too, but he ties messy, awful looking flies. I hate to admit it, but his catch just as many fish as mine. I have another friend who is absolutely anal about the number of fibers in a tail or number of legs on a beetle pattern. Does he catch more fish? Nope. Fish can't count.

I think Sundance nailed it: Fish care a lot less about the flies than most anglers. When I started out (a LONG time ago,) my flies were awful, and they caught fish just fine. As I progressed, my flies got better, and they still caught fish just fine. I knew a guy back in those days who tied up some of the most horrible looking nymphs I have ever seen. The were coated in varnish, and had only general shape of a stone fly. I fished with this guy quite a bit, and there was always a fish on the his line. He had no desire to make "pretty" flies as long as what he had worked.

Your nymphs are just fine the way they are, get them in front of a fish, and you will have success with those.