Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
blkvette98

FLYTYING vise for large hooks?? (REGAL)

Hi Everyone, I'm Looking for a new flytying vise but need something that will handle from 2/0 up to 9/0 with the majority of my flies and jigs tied on 7/0 siwash hooks.

Whats everyone using for the big stuff? I see that Regal has one with jumbo jaws that will handle just about all the large hooks. I guess the only disadvantage is I don't think you can tie anything less than a 2/0. I'm told that the Regal Medallion model with the jumbo jaws starts off with a large gap in the closed position to make it handle all the big hook sizes. Anyone using it or can you recommend a vise in the $150./175. range that would work. Doing a lot of big jigs and bucktails, its got to clamp good and be STRONG!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

cottarelli - hands down. two points of contact - i defy you to move a hook in that vise.

this hook is a 1/0 and i've had 8/0 in it.

it'll cost you about the same as the regal

IMG_0001.JPG

Tying big stuff is really the only time I prefer by Dynaking to my Renzetti. The notched jaws are awesome for big hooks. Certainly worth a look for tying big flies.

One mid-priced vise that would work well is Griffin's Patriot vise with "bullnose" jaws. Easy to adjust, holds hooks incredibly well, and accommodates a large range of hook wire. You may notice this vise recommended for big jigs and SW flies on various forums. The problem is Griffin stopped making them recently, and they're not always available on the used market. They sold for ~$175-195 in the last years, and used offerings may be ~$100.

Dyna King jaws might handle your full range of hooks sizes. All DK vises use the same jaws, so you can get the same holding power in a basic model. The Aristocrat model is a simple design that offers a two-position head angle. The Squire and Prince are two more basic DK models. Used offerings should be under $150.

FWIW, Regal doesn't show the Jumbo jaws on their updated site. I assumed it was being phased out.

Also, I've seen where some tyers use simple, often homemade, vises when tying very large jigs and bucktails. A vise grip welded to an upright and c-clamp comes to mind.

The Regal Revolution used to come with a saltwater jaw that had 3 grooves in it that would handle #7/0 shark hooks down to the #20's. Had to replace them due to a manufacturing defect & they sent another saltwater jaw with 2 grooves in it. Anything not in the jaw grooves isn't held as tight or I'm just putting far too much pressure on the thread with the bobbin. The Regal Medallion seems to hold #20's up to #1 & #1/0 better than the Revolution holds #16's thru #4's, but it's not with the stainless steel jaws.

Anvil apex, will hold up to an 8/0, some 9/0's would probably fit in it depending on the gauge.

Hey all, thanks for the replys and KEEP THEM COMING!!!!!!! Lots of good advice and lots of things to look in to. I'm using a vise that I made up in the tool room and it will handle from 4/0 to 9/0. Its a monster. Started it off with 1" diameter Tool steel and tapered it down to 5/8". If you saw the locking mechanism it looks like it belongs on a Sherman Tank. Been looking for something I can rotate but dosen't have to be a true rotary. I really crank down on these flies and jigs using 210 flat waxed nylon. The consensus seems to be the jaws with the grooves hold the best. Going to look at all suggested.

IMO jaws with grooves are just a crutch to compensate for not having enough integral holding ability. Get a Peak with the salt jaws and you will be able to pass it down to your great grandkids... Remember, you're not pressure forging machine parts, you are holding a hook. If it holds well enough to break your thread, it holds well enough. Again, you are tying materials to a hook shank, not lashing down a load on a flatbed trailer.

For #8/0 - 3 oz jig hooks a little shop bench vise might be a better choice. It's more of tying with the hook on it's side, but then just flip it over......

Peak with standard jaws holds up to a 3/0 very well, it will probably hold a bigger hook than that but i never tie anything bigger than; like J said above get a Peak with Saltwater Jaws just to be safe and you will be set; the saltwater jaws are only $35 as an add on.

Griffin Montana Mongoose. I have a Dyna King, Peak, etc... Mongoose holds everything!!! Minimal adjustments and one jaw for all hooks. If it's big, just slide the hook farther back in the jaw.

I recently got the Renzetti saltwater traveler. Size 4 to 8/0 advertised which covers all my needs however it will hold much smaller hooks too. And I didn't have to take out a second mortgage for it.