Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

Filter Bottles and Gut Bugs

Last weekend I made a bad choice--I got pretty badly dehydrated while out in the woods, and, rather than driving miles back to the nearest town to get water, I chose to risk using my old water filter-bottle. This was a product called SafeWater Anywhere, one of the first filter-bottles like it to hit the market, I believe, way back in the day. But, I had been told by someone I trusted that as long as the water coming out of the filter was clear, and didn't have black bits of charcoal in it (which would indicate that the charcoal filter was breaking down), that the water should be fine to drink. I had drunk from this filter-bottle many, many times in the past and never got sick, so I risked it.

post-36073-0-60719500-1397674700_thumb.jpg

24 hours later, I was driving the porcelain bus. Hard. All night long. Lesson learned.

Now, I actually own a much newer filter-bottle from a different manufacturer (Aquamira), which works basically the same way. I've never gotten sick from it either, but after my vivid lesson of last weekend, I'm really leery of using any sort of filtration system at all. I'm not really keen on the idea of carrying water, though--it's heavy as hell and, on a hot day, it's luke-warm or worse within an hour, which would actually discourage me from drinking it.

post-36073-0-40026100-1397675025_thumb.jpg

So, I'm wondering--how do you guys handle the whole issue of carrying water and staying hydrated when you're out fishing, hiking or whatever? Does anyone use the Aquamira or any other brand of filter-bottle? Anyone ever got sick from it? I'm not sure what method I'm going to use this summer, so I'm curious as to what others do.

The filter bottles filter solid contaminants and some chemicals from the water. They are not so reliable for microbes. It was always required, while I was military, to carry iodine tablets for the bacterial contaminants. You should be okay with as little as 4 pints (2 quarts) of water if you hydrate well the day before. I carry mine in a mesh bag, which goes into the water when ever possible. That keeps it cooler than the air, and allows me to feel more refreshed when drinking it.

Good luck with whatever you find that works.

I have used a Steripen, UV purification system for 5 years to purify river water. No ill effects. I am a retired physician and have confidence in this method. It even kills viruses that can go thought traditional water filters.

A physician friend bought one for his daughter who used it in Peru for water purification. 6 months in Peru without any water borne illness. I take mine to Mexico to sterilize my drinking water. In all the years since I bought the very first version of the Steripen, I have never gotten sick from drinking water out of the streams I fish.

I carry an empty Nalgene water bottle and my Steripen. If the water has organic material like leaves, you can filter it through a used clean pair of nylon stockings.

Steripen-1.jpg

I take water additives for flavoring and electrolytes. Many companies make them. So you not only get water but a version of Gatoraid.

image_miofit_superbowl_bottles1.jpg

http://www.makeitmio.com/mio-fit

I have since upgraded to the Steripen Adventurer Opti and Gary is using my earlier version.

UV Portable Water Purifier Systems - SteriPEN

Industry Awards | SteriPEN Blog

SteriPEN

See the following reviews

Hiking Poll Results

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: SteriPEN Adventurer Opti Handheld UV Water Purifier

Customer Reviews of SteriPEN Traveler Mini Water Purifier

Gear Review: Steripen Adventurer Opti | Backpacker Magazine

If the water has organic material like leaves, you can filter it through a used clean pair of nylon stockings.

Or ... if you don't want to carry the flavorings, but want flavor, you can use and old used pair ...

I am going to look into the Steripen, Silver. Thanks for that info. I am going to Africa in July, so I'll be taking SOMETHING with me to make drinking water safe.

I always take water and don't have a problem drinking it warm. It is my understanding that these water filters will remove many problems but I have read that they don't remove a lot of common chemicals that may be in the water. Much of our great country is blessed with water but we have not done much to protect this life giving compound. Sadly, even now that we know how we are abusing this resource the love of $$$$$$ blinds our law makers from doing what is needed. Short term gain for long term disaster. How sad

Silver - thanks very much for your observations and info on the SteriPen -- I will look into that. I know it's more expensive than a filter bottle, but if it works that reliably it may be worth it for me. I also like the idea of carrying flavoring/electrolyte additives.

Another idea that was suggested to me (from a source not on this forum) was to fill a recyclable plastic watter bottle 2/3-3/4 full with water and freeze it the night before fishing. That doesn't solve the problem of carrying the extra weight of water, but, as it will slowly melt over the course of the day, it would produce nice cool drinking water.

Going back to the idea of filter bottles -- out of curiosity I checked the Aquamira website, and they do still sell their filter bottle, but they have upgraded the design. Now, instead of a drop-in filter and a separate screw-on cap with a built-in sip-valve, the filter is built into the screw on cap, which now features a bite valve and a straw that extends all the way to the bottom of the bottle. This is to prevent having to tip the bottle to drink, which, in turn, prevents contaminated water from escaping the bottle without having to first go through the filter. This was very much a possibility with the old design (the one I own), because there wasn't a perfect seal between the drop-in filter and the mouth of the bottle.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to just suck it up and carry a bottle of clean water. It weighs a couple of pounds, which is considerable, but what an excellent incentive to lose a few of the pounds of body flab I'm carrying now, to even things out? :)

Something I always forget, or subconsciously neglect and then regret it later then evening. I have used the bottles with the screw in filters and as Mike says still allow some crap through. When I was in S.America we bleached our water and that can't be healthy either. I too will take a look at these steripens.

Bleach is actually not a bad emergency water purification method in an emergency. And you can get bleach just about everywhere. If you want a backup system, iodine tablets would be my pick.

Another idea that was suggested to me (from a source not on this forum) was to fill a recyclable plastic watter bottle 2/3-3/4 full with water and freeze it the night before fishing. That doesn't solve the problem of carrying the extra weight of water, but, as it will slowly melt over the course of the day, it would produce nice cool drinking water.

You can fill the bottle almost to the top with water. You will get some expansion as it freezes, but nowhere near 1/4 of the bottle. Usually, I am in a boat, and I can carry as much stuff as I want. I freeze bottled water without "making room" for expansion ... and I've never had a bottle break, yet.

I've always carried a Pur Hiker pump type filter along with an empty water bottle.. When I get thirsty, I filter the stream water into the bottle right there. It's lighter than carrying a full water bottle, and the water from the stream is cold. Never had a problem.

But I do remember 50+ years ago, just drinking directly from the stream, with no ill effects. Just lucky, I guess.

You can fill the bottle almost to the top with water. You will get some expansion as it freezes, but nowhere near 1/4 of the bottle. Usually, I am in a boat, and I can carry as much stuff as I want. I freeze bottled water without "making room" for expansion ... and I've never had a bottle break, yet.

That's good to know Mike. I am, with any luck at all, going to be purchasing a NuCanoe very soon, then I'll be doing most of my fishing from a boat too and just carry water, pop or beer or whatever I want properly iced down in a small cooler. :)

Ill look into the Steri Pen as well......I have a Katadyn Survivor 6 that I had on my 26' Wellcraft that was in my Emergency kit when fishing in the Gulf. If it was good enough for our Life Support folks to put in our Raft Kits (Survivor 325 in the 10 man rafts) it was good enough for me!

The issue is that it is big and bulky for fishing. I like the Steri Pen a lot!

I too freeze water bottles...just the plastic ones you get in the cases at Walmart or Sams or the supermarket. They serve dual purposes....keeps things cold and keeps water cold for drinking! I like cold water! The nice thing about freezing the water bottles is that you DONT have to carry along a "freeze pack" and when you are done with drinking the water you can crush down the bottle to save some space!

Whenever I can, I carry bottled water. Warm, cold, whatever, the issue is just to stay hydrated. When I can't carry sufficient amount, I use a squeeze bottle filtration unit similar to the one the OP mentions. Only reason the OP had a problem, as he confessed, is he did not keep up with basic maintenance on the filtration system (they are replaceable for a reason), and he paid for the oversight. Going to have the same problem with the UV solution as well -- e.g. no batteries/charge, no purification. Hence why if you are really off the beaten path, you might want more than one solution.

Byron beer=good.

Mikechell I had the privilege of traveling on safari to Namibia a few years ago on safari. The water was safe to drink. I would encourage you to be familiar with the area and make sure the appropriate vaccinations are up to date. Btw, the food was excellent. I ate what I harvested. Eland remains my favorite meat of all time. Oxtail stew (I didn't shoot an oxen) was delicious as well. I will be returning to Africa next year to hunt Cape Buffalo in Zimbabwe.