Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kimjensen

Regal, Dyna King, HMH, Anvil Apex/atlas.

I'm not sure I need a true rotary vise. I never really use it besides when I use UV glue and turn the fly around. I looked at Anvil Apex a week ago and I had a hook in it, seemed okay. The rotation was fine. I also looked at Regal Medallion. My hand rested so comfortable on that vise. I took a really big hook and loaded it and it could not hold it firmly at all (this was a very thick hook) i took a large royal wulf and set in the groove and it was firmly hold in place. I'm a little worry if all hooks need to be placed in that groove to be hold securely in place? I tie small flies too and i can't imagine I can put them in that groove and still have access to the hook. They don't have the stainless steel version in store and I'm not sure they will order one home just for me to try and decide. Smallest hook I have now is size 16.

Haven't tried Anvil Atlas, but it's prize looks good.

I have no idea were to try an HMH (limited vise market) but how would you compare it to Regal?

Small hooks do hold without putting them in the groove. You only need to put large hooks in the groove. Try testing it with a few more sizes.

I second what Utyer says. The regal will hold smaller hooks... my regal has been seeing more bench time then my renzetti or norvise. Though I am going through alot of streamers recently. Anyways the regal is a great vise.

Thank you for the help. It is quite an expensive vise, especially the stainless steel jaw version. I tie everything from size 4 streamers to dry flies and nymphs.

Add me to the list of very satisfied Regal owners. I like it for its ease of operation and hook-holding power, plus the ability to turn the fly in the vise. As others have said, it holds smaller hooks just fine. I am sure the other vises you list are fine tools as well.

Kim I have the stainless version of the Regal. While more expensive. it's something I don't think you'll regret, especially when used over the years. Good Luck!

I have an Anvil Atlas. It ties as well as I can which, now that I think about it, may not be a sterling recommendation.

Seriously, it's moderately priced, and it works just fine.

s.

I'll join in the Regal love fest here, owned one for years and still my go to vise. I owned an HMH many moon ago but I had problems with larger hooks slipping no matter how the jaws were adjusted but then I know others that had no problems with theirs.

I'll toss in an opinion from a beginner.......

My mentor has a Dynaking......he LOVES IT!

Great, I cant spend that money on one so I tried a bunch of vises and came up with my Peak Rotary Vise.......

I really like it!!!!!!! When I see a vise that does the same thing I need I will make a change but it works for me ....

Mike :)

OK, here's my .02 - I've owned a lot of the "bells & whistle" vises, roary, true rotary, fixed, over the years. Finally bought a Regal, and never looked back. Wouldn't even consider another vise now. Most true rotary vise owners don't use the rotary feature to anywhere near it's capabilities, anyway. The Regal is a rotary, and that's all one needs. I'm saving my pennies for the stainless jaws, but have never experienced any chipping problems at all with the standard jaws. It's just a matter of placing the hook in the jaws properly, and they tell you how to do that. I tie in the range of 10-20, no problems hanging on to those hooks like a pit bull. utyer is correct, the grooves are for the biggies. I would recommend the Regal to anyone, regardless of what size / style they tie. Just a damn good vise.

I had an atlas and sold it after a year.

If you're tying a lot on big hooks ( greater than size 1) then you'll not find a vise with better grip than one with two points of contact. Have a look at a cottarelli, true rotary which Will cost you the same as a top end Regal.

http://www.artisticflies.com/COTTARELLI_VISE/COTTARELLI_VISE.html

Here's mine with a 1/0 hook.

IMG_0001.JPG

I own a regal medallion and many other high end vises ( nor-vise, dyna- king barracuda, and hmh). I always go back to it. Just like u said, my hand rests well on it and it grips everything. 2/0 stainless to size 22 for silver creek. I would recommend getting the stainless jaws, I replaced my stock jaws after a year due to chipping. Mostly my fault, late night steelhead tying riverside.

In the end though, go with whats comfortable, and don't break the bank for a name brand. Remember there are still guys who tie with out a vise.