Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Im in need of an insect

So last weekend me and my dad took a trip to the mountains for some spring lake trout fishing. He with his spinning rod and me with my fly rod were at it all day long trying our best to hook into some nice lakers. We were continuously marking them on the fish finder but could not get a hit. We noticed that they were all feeding on the bottom so we got down deep. My dad with a jig and me with a streamer and sinking line. All day long we tried different lures/streamers and different techniques but nothing was working. My dad finally got one, but that was the only fish of the day. We couldn't figure out why the fish were not biting, we were trying every bait fish pattern imaginable. And then it hit us. Maybe the reason the fish were not biting is because they were not eating the bait fish. We guessed that the fish were eating the insects, which would answer why they were all so tight to the bottom. Problem is that i didn't bring any flys for the trout, only streamers. So we continued to fish for a bit, than took off down the lake to take pictures of some big horned sheep and loons. When i got home i went to my flys to see what might be good for these lake trout. But i had no clue what kind of insects would be down there. So i need your guys help. What kind of insects are down 20-60 feet deep? Im sure there would be some scuds and sort but what else? The lake we were fishing is a cold mountain lake, the ice only came off it a few weeks ago. The warmest the surface water temperature got was 6 degrees Celsius, so down where the fish are is going to be even colder. Not really sure if this matters but i thought i should add it anyways. Im really stumped right know and could use some help.

Thanks

I would be more inclined to believe they were feeding on some crayfish hatch. Although insect larvae can be that deep, I believe it's rare.

They are close to the "bottom" of the chain, which starts with plankton or other plant life ... which needs sunlight. So, most larvae are closer to shallow water.

Crayfish, on the other hand, are mostly detritus eaters, and can live quite happily off the bottom, no matter how deep.

Chironomid (midge) larvae could theoretically exist that deep. Their main diet includes leaf and wood detritus, and algal detritus (silt which contains dead algae that have settled to the bottom). Such a habitat, especially at that depth, is very low in dissolved oxygen, compensated for by the fact that chironomid larvae contain a molecule very much like hemoglobin which allows for storage of oxygen.

Mike,

I don't fish still waters much but I am going by what I have heard Brian Chan say in podcasts and what he has written. He is an expert on fly fishing still waters for trout.

Chironomid larva live on the bottom of lakes and in water that is too low in oxygen for other creatures like crayfish to live in. The feed on detritus

"Most chironomid larvae are found living in the benthic zone (bottom of the lake) between 5 and 25 feet in depth. However, some species are able to withstand very harsh environmental conditions and that allows the larvae to live at considerable depths and in water bodies exhibiting very poor water quality. It is not uncommon to see good populations of larvae living at the bottom of the lake at depths of 30 to 50 feet. Typically, the larvae burrow into or inhabit tubes built in the mud or other bottom substrate. Larvae that live in oxygen poor or almost anoxic conditions exhibit a blood red colouration due to the presence of a haemoglobin-like fluid with the circulatory system. Other common chironomid larval colours include shades of green and combinations of green and maroon. Chironomid larvae feed on detritus or decomposing plant material."

http://www.riseformflyfishing.com/chironomids.htm

Do you actually mean lake trout? If so, they feed on smaller fish.

Chironomid larva can be that deep.

laketrout.gif

Yes, the fish we are targeting are lake trout like the photo. I agree that they feed on smaller fish. Most of the year they are aggressive feeders, often feeding on rather large mountain white fish. But this was not the case today. There diet is not only fish though. Throughout the year they readily eat insects.

I would be more inclined to believe they were feeding on some crayfish hatch. Although insect larvae can be that deep, I believe it's rare.

They are close to the "bottom" of the chain, which starts with plankton or other plant life ... which needs sunlight. So, most larvae are closer to shallow water.

Crayfish, on the other hand, are mostly detritus eaters, and can live quite happily off the bottom, no matter how deep.

I can guarantee you that they were not feeding on crayfish. I am more than positive that there are no crayfish in the lake we were fishing in. From what i know there are very few lakes in Alberta that even have crayfish. I have never seen one here in my entire life. There is 1 crayfish species in Alberta, Orconectes virilis. From what i know they are only found in a few waterways on the eastern side of the province though.

On that day the one fish that we caught we kept for dinner. After my dad cleaned the fish i cut open the stomach to see what the fish were feeding on. There were some scuds and a few chironomids. Im still curious what other insects might be down there though.

were you fishing Lake Minnewanka? There is crayfish in Whitecourt which is in northern Alberta. I go there to fish for fat stocked rainbows and fish for the crayfish as a bonus. They are exactly like little lobster.

I would have copied what your dad got one on with the fly rod, but it is possible they were just not actively feeding and not in the mood? Kinda like these browns...

Phil Rowley and Brian Chan are expert stillwater anglers with extensive experience in Alberta and British Columbia. Check out Phil Rowley's "Fly Patterns for Stillwaters." He also has a number of videos available on Youtube covering patterns, tactics and techniques for stillwater fishing.

I would guess chironomids would be your best bet for catching the fish when they are down deep.

I would have copied what your dad got one on with the fly rod, but it is possible they were just not actively feeding and not in the mood? Kinda like these browns...

I did try copying his lure with a streamer as good as i could, still no luck.

Thats what we were thinking at first, that the fish were just not in the mood to eat. That particular day there were 3 or 4 boats fishing in the same general area. We were all fishing on the same ridge line along the lake. As one of the boats drifted by we overheard them say that they were catching the fish on insects. Also when we got back to the docks we saw a group of guys with there catch of 6 nice sized trout that day. So we are guessing that the fish were biting that day, and that they just didn't like what we were presenting them. It is still very possible that we were just having a bad day, and that we just had bad luck. But i would like to believe more that we were presenting the fish with the wrong food, rather than we just had back luck.

Even if it was just an off day i still want to know what kind of insects are down there. Just for futures references. So far it sounds like chironomids would be a good try. Any others??

Thanks for all the help and input so far.