Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
OneShotScout

best place to buy materials?

I looked around the forum a little but did not find anything.

Where are the best places to buy materials. I know the BPS here have stuff. But are there better options. As far as price and quality.

I've bought from bass pro shops, and a fly shop out west called waters west flyfishing. But the opinions on that discussion are valuable.

This has been discussed many times. There is no single "best" as no one source has everything. It's best to shop around. Some places will have items at better prices than others depending on what type of materials you need.

The main thing is once you find sources you're happy with, stick with them, but still shop & compare. Sometimes you're better off paying a little more for some items when you find a dependable source.

I buy from many sources. I like J Stockard for some items. Good people to deal with & generally their prices are very competitive. They're not always cheapest & don't have all the items I use.

I don't buy much from Bass Pro, but have at times. Cabela's is another place I've bought from occasionally & even Orvis. I generally shop sales with these suppliers.

Barlows Tackle in TX is another as is Jann's Net Craft. I've purchased from Feather-craft too.

Again, look around!

As far as local shops for Houston area- there is an Orvis store in the Woodlands, Fishing Tackle Unlimited has a good selection of tying materials amd they are well priced as well. Check out www.intheriffle.com , www.bluequillangler.com , or casters fly shop - they have a decent selection and free shipping. Jstockard has the best selection at the best prices but just keep in mind that it will take about 2.5 weeks to get your materials or at least it has everytime i have placed orders to them.

Don't overlook places like JoAnns Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, etc., for good substitute materials for those who (1) are of a frugal mind, and/or (2) don't mind looking for good ideas for alternative materials. A lot of us use craft foam, I use specialty (rayon, etc.) threads and floss from JoAnns. Can also get various colors of hot glue from there.

I was fortunate to be able to attend the Texas Fly Fishing Expo in New Braunfels, Texas this past week-end and I found ALOT of stuff there at pretty darn good prices. Hobby Lobby also has a lot of stuff as well...Always check out their clearance section you can score some good stuff dirt cheap!!!

For feathers check out the feather empourioum.

http://www.featheremporium.com/index.html

smile.png

I heard the business is a one-man operation. I've read several reviews of how shipment of products is typically very slow and people have had bad experiences getting their items or even replies through phone or emails regarding their orders. No one seemed to have an issue with the product quality when it finally does arrive. The website has a lot of information and built fairly well, but I'm unlikely to order anything until I hear his business operations improve.

For feathers check out the feather empourioum.

http://www.featheremporium.com/index.html

smile.png

I heard the business is a one-man operation. I've read several reviews of how shipment of products is typically very slow and people have had bad experiences getting their items or even replies through phone or emails regarding their orders. No one seemed to have an issue with the product quality when it finally does arrive. The website has a lot of information and built fairly well, but I'm unlikely to order anything until I hear his business operations improve.

I placed an order, then nothing until the products arrived, maybe 5-7 days later.

In the end everything worked out.