Fly Tying
fshrmanms

HOOKS FLOP ARRRRG!

wow all sorted that took several hours thanks for the tips. I put them in little zip lock bags, may take a little longer to access but I won't be kneeling on the floor trying to recover hooks! too old for that LOL!!

Same thing happened to me with beads but I only had to sort about 50. Now they are only sorted by size not color.

For storing hooks I like using the thick plastic Orvis packets:

post-52552-0-40711200-1404568485_thumb.jpg

Bags just don't work for me. Neither would Mike's just-in-time inventory system. I currently have my most-used hooks in Spirit River ten compartment boxes. One for dry fly hooks, one for nymph hooks, one for scud & emerger hooks etc. Ten sizes of each seems to cover 90% of what I tie. Other hooks and extra stock I keep in their original packaging in drawers. In the ten compartment boxes, I put a magnetic sheet in the compartments for the smaller hooks. It keeps them from migrating or spilling. The larger hooks just go in loose. Worst case that's 4 or 5 sizes to sort if I dump the whole box.

If I was starting over, I'd consider Craft Mate lockable boxes, available at craft stores. They come in various sizes, have curved bottoms and separate lids for each compartment.

I don't bother putting them in separate boxes. dry.png

100_4656_zpse35537df.jpg

I've got a bunch in 1000 count boxes too. They don't blow over or spill easily. wink.png

utyer did you sell that dropped pile of hooks on eBay? I bought a bunch of Mustads from #8 to #22 on eBay. A few hundred, probably more like 1200. They were a mishmash of every thing. I just would adventurously pull out a strange hook and tie something or sort a dozen that were the same. I always wondered how things got that way.

I second the Craftmate box recommendation. You only have to unlock 1 compartment at a time so if the whole box is turned over, only the open one will spill. Switched to these after spilling a 2 row box with only 1 lid for each side. Hours to sort?, how about days.

Thanks, Bob H