Fly Tying
troutguy

I found a feather

Yesterday walking around Grandfather Mountain I saw a feather, "Oh look there is another." I admired them and thought of the cool flies they would tie, but left them without touching.

Oh they were on the ground of this cage,

post-3361-0-82687700-1407863626_thumb.jpg

post-3361-0-29350600-1407863632_thumb.jpg

post-3361-0-55520500-1407863725_thumb.jpg

I saw some feathers on the ground below my bird feeder, the usable length of feather was about 2 inches and its still on the ground

if those feathers are from the eagle, they are illegal to possess. even Native Americans cannot possess eagle feathers without a permit

Cool... I could have had some nice ones (black and white) while living in Alaska but did what you did. Couldn't rest easy knowing they were in my house.

I'm sure there are security cams. The fence around the eagles has a mesh that is so large a camera lens fits through. The feathers are really neat to look at and dream though. I love and appreciate all bird feathers but eagles are so special.

The area around the park has some good fishing. We hit some smaller streams that were excellent because of all the rain we had.

Flytire.....really? Are you being captain obvious?

I have a beautiful fly I call the "Cardinal Sin". Wonder what the feather is? I think Cardinal feathers are illegal to possess. For the record... I'd "never" collect a few from a pile left by a hawk. I believe there are more birds on the illegal Migratory Bird Act list than are those legal to possess. Eagles are the most popular with the most severe punishment but so are raptors. I wonder how many tiers have picked up a vulture wing feather to use as a sub for Condor? Don't admit it here! That is also a serious crime and ignorance is no excuse.

Who can tell a wild turkey feather from a domestic one?

this is the current list of feathers stuck in my fishing hat....

Red Tail Hawk

Black Vulture

Canadian Goose

Wild Turkey

Mallard Duck

Cardinal

all of them are primary or secondary wing feathers. due to the fact that i live north of the border, these are legal to possess.

what about feathers purchased from a source that can legally sell them such as from another country. I have seen feather on ebay from other countries that I am sure are illegal here

Importing illegal animal products is ... illegal.

It amazes me that we still have people who think it's okay to slaughter beautiful wild creatures just for their fur or feathers?

You can't collect feathers, even molted ones, BECAUSE there are people who would kill and then say they "found" them.

"No, really officer, Bald Eagles routinely eat at the bird feeders in my yard!!!"

The more I know about people ... the more people I meet ... the more people I learn to hate.

Another reason to NOT have kids ... they either grow up to become the people I hate, or they grow up having to deal with those people. Either result is cruelty to somebody or some thing.

Another reason to NOT have kids ... they either grow up to become the people I hate, or they grow up having to deal with those people. Either result is cruelty to somebody or some thing.

You're just a ray of sunshine.