Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
banks

BEST LEGS

Whats your favorite legs material , for grasshoppers , crickets , hellgramites , beetles ,stoneflys any bug im looking for some new / old and different ideas for legs , want to hear about materials you use and procedure , what legs are most lifelike and which have the best action and attraction qualitys , all ideas will be appreciated

I can't say I am into all the qualifications you are. I am pretty stuck on rubber legs, since they last longer than just about anything else.

Can't say they're my favorite since I've never used them (yet) but I came across these just yesterday that look good, and seems they'd be sturdier than peacock, etc. Worth a try.

http://www.mytroutfly.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-to-make-grasshopper-legs.html

Never saw "Moldy Chum" until you mentioned it. Didn't even know it existed, since I don't follow blogs.

But they must be looking at the same web search pictures I've seen, sometimes, by mistake, when I am looking for other fishing related material, really.

A while back, I did a leg for my hoppers. I was trying to come up with a variation of one done by a much better tier ... Cordaba or one of the other realistic guys, I think.

Anyway, I was looking for something with some free movement. I don't have a picture of the original, but here's a diagram of the leg.

The large part of the leg (I think of it as the muscle) is the plastic sheath of a piece of fly line. Once the mono is glued in place, and the braid is tied on, the fly line can be glued together to make a smaller profile, or left open to create a larger profile.

I also use a marker to make lines on the muscle.

Is this the one you mean Mike? I think you posted it some time back. Somehow I got the idea you called it a katydid, but I could be wrong. Maybe you said Sadie did. Anyway I've always wanted to know how these legs were made. Look like striped bloomers.

post-52210-0-21321200-1411782872_thumb.jpg