Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flyfisher29

Copyright

I write for a few magazines and frequently need to display a picture of a trout fly.

I am wondering if copyright would apply if I used one from our forums or newsletter

Does anyone object or would I be hauled off to the Pokey for doing it?

You need permission. If you know who posted the picture, then ask. If it's one of the people posting on the "photography" forum, then I'd definitely get permission before stealing one of their pictures.

Main problem I see is a picture posted on here that are already hoisted from some other source. The primary reason you get busted using someone else's picture, as I understand it, is you make a profit from it. If you're getting paid for the articles you write, you NEED permission to use an photo you did not personally take.

Good advice from mikechell. The following link is to a PDF file with provides a summary of

U.S. Copyright Law. It is a somewhat technical. But then so is copyright law. At one time

you had to affix the "(Co)" notice. That is no longer true in the U.S.

"Copies of works published before March 1,1989, must bear the notice or risk loss of copyright

protection."

So yes! You need permission.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.pdf

I write for a few magazines and frequently need to display a picture of a trout fly.

I am wondering if copyright would apply if I used one from our forums or newsletter

Does anyone object or would I be hauled off to the Pokey for doing it?

you write for magazines so you should be knowledgeable with copyrights

when in doubt, tie and photograph the fly yourself

however check out "fair use"

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/copyright-fair-use-and-how-it-works-for-online-images/

It's not usually the case where you get hauled off, but you might get a letter from some attorney stating the rightful owner wants compensation & damages.

That can get expensive fast when attorney's are involved. In some extreme cases it's certainly possible to end up in jail, but in most not likely. The money is the main issue.

Follow the advice given & either get permission before you use someone else's pictures, or buy a decent camera & take your own pictures.

I have a Kodak DX7630 that my oldest son gave to me & it takes some pretty good fly pictures, and is not an expensive camera. It's by far cheaper than dealing with legal action.

I recently found a picture of some flies I had taken & posted on another site that got "used" without permission. I contacted the admin of the site where it was re-posted & let them know that permission had not been given to use the pic & that it was my pic, not the author's who pirated it. It all got worked out, and credit was noted that the pic & flies in the pic were mine. It wasn't a big deal, but a matter of principle. Not everyone looks at such things the same way. sad.png

Hi,

Get permission to use the photograph and when you do use the picture give credit. EX: XYZ Fly - Photo by Al Beatty (use the correct name of course). If you are unable to get permission then tie the fly and photograph it yourself. Take care & ...

My friend made more money off of a picture of his that was used in someone's blog without permission than he did originally selling the picture with a story to a magazine.

That may be true, but it doesn't make it right. ...or legal.

I used to know a guy who illegally copied recorded music to give to friends. He argued these music companies and musicians make lots of money and one song isn't going to hurt them. I then read about an old man... a street performer... who was disabled and unable to work anymore, but his entire income was royalties from one song he wrote that Elvis recorded. Someone gets hurt when we steal.

FlaFly I reread my post and it is confusing. My friend sells pictures and occasional stories. He sold a story and the photos were copied by a blogger. He did not contact blogger, he contacted a lawyer who sued blogger. He made more off the lawsuit than he did on the original story.

The blogger had ads and was making money on his blog and he was stealing someone else's work. .

Ah so! I was right anyway... someone got hurt (deservedly so).