Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eide

October flies from the bench

Quick tie with some congo hair..hook is a bit small for this one, but very easy and fast to tie. Really holds a nice profile when wet.

Very nice looking fly indeed....I've got some congo hair I just might have to try this one!!!!

First fly I've tied since I broke my thumb on August 19th

Very very nice indeed....Love the tiger colors...What size hook did you use?

STMflies, to each his own. I love your bug but am very disappointed in my Mongoose. I tie mostly small stuff and it's a big clunker IMO. I had an Atlas Anvil, got a Renzetti Traveler and decided I wanted a true rotator so traded Anvil for feathers and ordered Mongoose. Just too big and too much stuff sticking out. The rotation is very unreliable for holding position since the head weighs so much and rotation lock is not as nice as I'd like. I picked up a Peak Rotary and like it much better. Very smooth, compact with no junk sticking out here and there, so Mongoose will probably end in Classified, tho I find it hard to part with anything that I might use sometime.

You guys that do those beautiful hair bugs, and I've got a few from a couple of you, I'd love to see some pics of what it looks like under your vise, and the front of your t-shirt and floor. I fooled with a single hair bug and the mess was worse than tying a couple of dozen of anything else.

STMflies, to each his own. I love your bug but am very disappointed in my Mongoose. I tie mostly small stuff and it's a big clunker IMO. I had an Atlas Anvil, got a Renzetti Traveler and decided I wanted a true rotator so traded Anvil for feathers and ordered Mongoose. Just too big and too much stuff sticking out. The rotation is very unreliable for holding position since the head weighs so much and rotation lock is not as nice as I'd like. I picked up a Peak Rotary and like it much better. Very smooth, compact with no junk sticking out here and there, so Mongoose will probably end in Classified, tho I find it hard to part with anything that I might use sometime.

You guys that do those beautiful hair bugs, and I've got a few from a couple of you, I'd love to see some pics of what it looks like under your vise, and the front of your t-shirt and floor. I fooled with a single hair bug and the mess was worse than tying a couple of dozen of anything else.

I think a tiny bit of reel oil would help your rotation problems. I will admit that you have to find the rotation sweet spot, but once you have it, it will function great for 6 to 8 months until you need to dab a few drops of oil into the rotary housing. That's maintenance I can live with... I personally really like the fact that it's built sturdy, and I have no issues whatsoever tying micro stuff on it. The key with it is the jaw. The jaw is the best in the industry hands down (I own Atlas, Peak, Dynaking, etc. and I sold a traveler because it would bend all out of shape when I'd "travel" with it... Ironic I know.)

This being said, I frequently pull out the Peak vise and give it a whirl because it's fun to tie on.