Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
petelangevin

Mustad 9672 substitutes?

Allen, S403 should be similar. It's listed as 3 XL however. I tied a lot of flies on those older Mustad's, both the 9671 & 9672.

I like the Allen's as well and their prices are very good.

Or, the Daiichi 2220, but more costly.

Daiichi 1720 and Tiemco 5263 are more or less equivalent to Mustad 9672. They differ mainly in wire diameter. While Mustad 9672 is standard wire, Daiichi 1720 is 1XH and the Tiemco is 3XH. A third possibility is the Daiichi 1270 which, like Mustad 9672, uses standard wire. It differs in having a curved shank and a York bend. (The others have a Perfect bend.)

I used the 3xl 9672 a long time ago but haven't used a 4xl R74. It does look a pinch longer.

The Daiichi 2220 is a great hook, but it's a fairly long shank. I've been happy with the TMC 5263 for many years. I'm sure the Daiichi 1720 is a fine hook as well.

It's been awhile since I used the 9672, but my memory is that it was 3XL and the 9671 was 2XL. Mustad lists the replacement R74-9672 as 4XL. In any case I now use either the TMC 5263 or Daiichii 1720.

Hi Guys,

The Mustad hooks for the different lengths discussed so far are as follows (with possible substitutes):

1. 9671 (2x long) Eagle Claw 63, Tiemco TMC 5262, Daiichi 1280 (is 2x long but dry fly weight)

2. 9672 (3x long) Eagle Claw 58, Kamasan B-830, Tiemco TMC 5263, Daiichi 1720

3. 9674 (4x long) VMC 9148, Daiichi 2220, Gamagatsu S11-4L2H

There are many other options available but those are few you might look at. Also if you are interested the Mustad 38941 (3x long, sproat) and the Mustad 79580 (4x long, round) are a couple of others we noticed in our inventory. Take care & l...

One other source of hooks I noticed is here on this site: Will has Green Caddis Outfitter hooks in a variety of length that you might check out. Take care & ...

It's been awhile since I used the 9672, but my memory is that it was 3XL and the 9671 was 2XL. Mustad lists the replacement R74-9672 as 4XL.

you are correct, I used to go through hundreds and hundreds of 9672 hooks and they were always listed as 3XL, TDE, forged. Excellent hooks for woollly worms, woolly buggers, muddler minnows, any number of streamers, etc. The Mustad Signature R74 is dam' near the same shape/length. I believe when Mustad standardized designations with the Signature series this shape was closer to 4XL than 3XL, but the difference is miniscule- to the point of not being any concern.

SO, pete, no need to go mental looking for other comparable hooks, Mustad makes them and they are widely available.