Fly Tying
meyer2792

Woodworking Ideas

Hey everyone,

Living in the MIdwest before going out fishing in the afternoon when it is warmer out I been working in the shop in the morning. I am looking for ideas of things to build with wood. Stuff besides the usual...nets, tool caddy, or the original fly boxes. I want some more unique ideas. I am pretty crafty with wood and possible if someone comes up with an idea that I like I may even make one for whom comes up with it.

Sincerely,

Bored Fly Fisherman In the Mornings

One thing I've always fancied making (if I had the facilities), is a really nice, hard wood, hexagonal rod tube for my cane rod. Quite simple if you can get some hexagonal aluminium bar to use as a former, and a table saw to cut the wood. I'd make the hinge and fastening out of leather with brass rivets and a cavalry stud to close it.

Cheers,

C.

Check out www.creeknuts.com. I really like there rod holding cabinets. Also, chickens are a big deal now with the "urban farmers" if I were good at woodworking I would build them to sell. You ought to see how much they go for at places like Williams and Sonoma with wood that wont hold up. Essquidamevera (Im sure misspelled) made some stunning kayaks and canoes and posted them. These were so nice I would hang them in my house and wouldn't even let the kids breathe on them for fear that the wrecking balls that they are might tear something up.

years ago i had this tying bench from grays sporting woods and thought i would buy a different one from a member on this forum site. he never came through on the order so i just bought the same thing he was offering from oasis tying benches.

i threw out the old grays bench and now i wish i hadnt

its kind of hard to find a woodworker in my local area and my fear is that i would experience some price gouging for a one of item

bench1.jpg

How about some tying tools with nice wooden handles. Laminate a strip of walnut between two pieces of maple for handles with a nice dark center line. Stainless steel rod can usually be picked up 1/32" diameter and easily bent into shape for a whip finisher or sharpened for a bodkin. Might even try this out myself once I finish my other projects. I like crackaig's idea of rod cases also. For non-fishing related projects the impossible ball bearing in a single piece of wood is a fun one that is easy to whip up a few of and give to friends.

Portable fly tying desk, with the fold out doors and storage for everything you need to carry. Light enough to actually carry it, too.

I know it's been done before, but it's one of those items I dream of making one day.

I have an idea for an octagonal tower, on a rotating base. Each side has a bunch of little drawers, and each side is for a different hook style, for instance: dry fly, nymph/wet fly, egg/scud/pupa, streamer, saltwater, big game, and maybe a side with beads. Then you could have rows of different sizes, depending on how tall you make it. Does that make sense to anyone? Maybe Mike could whip up one of those diagrams he is great at.

You mean something like this, Fisherboy?

I like the idea, but I think the drawers need to "hinge" instead of "sliding" open .... to make use of the space efficiently.

Yes, but have small drawers, many of them. Say 4 columns of 10 rows. So 40 small drawers per side. Kinda like what is used to store nails, bolts, nuts, washers etc in a shop.

That will work, too. I don't care for this design as much, due to the amount of floor space it will take up. It would have to be a rather large construction ... with some dead space and open shelves.

Not a bad idea, just not as good and the first one, I think.

But, it is YOUR idea, so this is just an artist's concept.

i think you could do drawers on each side depending on the size of the octagon right? they're for hooks, shouldn't need to be too big drawers... right? lol

That's a smaller scale than I was thinking. The drawers down each side of each face will still be contacting the angle of the octagon.

Maybe this would be a good project, just to see how it will work?

Mike

If you made it hexagonal, each "drawer" would be equilateral, with 30 degree angles... that would make it easier to hinge them on one corner as you suggested. They wouldn't hinge properly in an octagon, since the inside sides would be longer than the opening.

Hey!!! I am just trying to visualize Fisherboy's suggestion. The OP can decide if he wants to make it work. LOL

I personally want to build a fly tying bench with drawers and pull out table and it folds up to look like a nice peice of furniture. I see one on line for $3000 but I cant afford that and I like to work with wood also. I got some pictures from the web and iv purchased a jointer and a dovetail jig and I got black walnut for the drawer faces and I'm probably going to use maple for the rest of it. As for other stuff to build a bamboo fly rod would be a cool project or turn a reel seat for a fly rod, good luck on whatever you build and have fun doing it