Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Betty

Winter............I hate it!

Yes it is to imitate a dying fish. It has foam on one side and lead on the other. It dips slowly forward into the water and on strip it returns to the surface.

I tye some of my Crease Flys sideways, that's how wounded bait swim. I really like that idea grassonfly.

I'd be interested in hearing whether barracuda attack any fish imitation lying sideways, or only those that are silver/shiny. The conventional wisdom among Florida skindivers is that most fish aren't that interesting to the cuda because of their coloration pattern - shiny below, dark above. When a fish is injured in some way so that it is on it's side, it is visible to the cuda who sees it as catchable, and that's why cudas tend to go after shiny objects like jewelry, shiny parts of face masks, etc.

I advise you to not swish a bloody, shiney stainless knife around in the water to clean it if there are barracuda around. You might lose a finger or two.

Here in the NE it's only getting colder, this AM was minus 12 last night even colder. So today's fly is one my friend JT tyed only this is my spin on it.......a sparse Hollow Flye with UV purple peacock tyed 360 and a jungle cock eye.

post-18342-0-89845600-1424114945_thumb.jpg

It's never ending! Another freak'n storm the other day, five more inches! So to the vise....herring fly for the stripers to munch on when the show!

post-18342-0-24447200-1424649727_thumb.jpg

Betty, these are some stellar flies in this thread, but this last one is a work of art. IS that a flat wing? Also, is the buck tail hollow tied?

Betty, these are some stellar flies in this thread, but this last one is a work of art. IS that a flat wing? Also, is the buck tail hollow tied?

This is a Bob Popovics Bucktail Deceiver about 7 inches long. I'm going to start on shrimp and smaller baitfish next week.

nice flys gentlemen. I gotta say to Grass. That sideways fly would be a "blitz maruader" at Montauk.

I like tying with leftovers lying around my bench.....saddles, two different colors of bucktail, select craft fur and 3D eyes. And here you go.....squid.

post-18342-0-78766600-1425504838_thumb.jpg

Eight more inches, 12 degrees so one more for the box. Next week we'll be heading to more spring like temps!!!

post-18342-0-11276000-1425786781_thumb.jpg