Fly Tying
JasonV

Advice on first hackle purchase

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fly-Tying-Whiting-Farms-Intro-Combo-Set-A-/301444681712?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item462f80cff0

I am thinking this is a good way to start. Any feedback? I do not own any cape's or Hackle yet and this looks like a good place to start. I know I want to stick with Whiting.

I decided to get it. I do not have anything in particular to tie and this will give me a good choice.

The problem is that you have no clue as to the sizes of the saddle hackle. Saddles normally cover a range of 2 or at most 3 sizes. They could be sizes that you rarely would use. Secondly the brown saddle hackle is really a furnace variant. It is not really true to type and the color varies from brown to a light tan and the thickness of the center black stripe also varies.

On the positive, it is cheap only IF you can use it. It is expensive if you don't.

For $75, you can get 5 half capes in brown, grizzly, dun, cream, black in the TU starter kit from feather emporium.

http://www.featheremporium.com/Fly-Tying-Feathers/dry-fly-hackle2.html

Good luck.

This price is just as good as flea bay, and you can communicate with them about the size saddles you want. For the same price, you could order 4 Necks in 4 colors, or 2 necks, and two saddles or 4 saddles. I think on things like hackle, you would be better off shopping at some place where you can return items that don't turn out to be what you order.

Better yet, stop on by the local fly shop and pick them out in person. You may pay a bit more, but you will know what you are going home with.

Every place has a "local" fly shop right?

Since it's now marked sold ... I can't see the photo enlarged. But I checked out the seller. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

You could go to collins hackle and buy their pro tyers package. Its like 4 capes of their color choices for like 60$. I believe their saddles come with the capes.

I also would have suggested feather emporium. I have been very happy with my purchases of several types of feathers from him. I hope it works out for you.

all good advice above. since I feel like posting today ....

you will develop your taste and needs over time, so you just need a starting point. it would be rare for you to be spot on with every purchase of materials; we all buy things that don't turn out as we envisioned, and of course, we change our minds from time to time.

I do well with whiting half capes.

on dry fly hackle: I would recommend you look for deals, but don't go cheap on quality. you will get a feel for quality after you've used various hackles. whiting is a safe choice. you can skimp on wet/streamer packs and hackles, but you will regret trying to tie good dries with bogus "dry" fly hackle.

local outfits like Trout Unlimited are good for getting perspective. without spending a fortune on material you may not want ultimately, you can ask the local gurus for one or two hackles for you to try so you can see the difference.

a good day for jus' sayin ...

:-)

I too have had alot of trouble finding good hackle. There isn't a fly shop on Long Island N.Y. worth a spit. All of my purchases have been on line, through recommendations only. it's possible to getgood material but you gotta know what you want. research ,research, research.

Secondly the brown saddle hackle is really a furnace variant. It is not really true to type and the color varies from brown to a light tan

The light tan you see on those feathers is the back of the furnace feather. The back of furnace or brown will always be a lighter color.