Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kennebec12

For you pike and musky tiers

What do you guys recommend for the bright grizzly hackle feathers on those flies? Brand and good online price? Thinking I may go up to the big musky derby this coming summer and want to test out tying some flies and fishing them earlier.

And where do you recommend getting good leaders from for a good price?

Ya woolly bugger packs also you can get some streamer capes and magnum capes for hook and hackle that are fair prices I have used both and for 19-34 bucks you get plenty of feathers

Streamer patches

http://store.hookhack.com/mobile/Hook-Hackle-Deceiver_Streamer-Patches/departments/1202/

Mag capes

http://store.hookhack.com/mobile/HH-Magnum-Saltwater_Bass-Capes-New/products/1158/

I've used strung salt water Saddle hackle, strung saltwater neck hackles, strung schlappen and burnt Spey hackle that I picked up from Feather-Craft for my pike flies. I haven't seen any in grizzly though. The packs for the strung hackle run from $4.95 to $6.50. The burnt Spey runs $4.95 for 20 feathers, good for three or four flies the way I tie them. If you're looking for one color and/or grizzly the neck might be the way to go. For several colors the strung hackle pack might be the way to go. Another possibility might be Bait Fish Emulator flash(3" long) or Mega Bait Fish Emulator Flash(5.5 " long).

For top water I use a four foot furled fluorocarbon leader made from 20 lb fluorocarbon. Tippet is a 5 or 6 foot piece of 25 or 30 lb fluorocarbon. If I get bite offs I'll add a bite tippet of 50 lb fluorocarbon or Tyger wire.

I bought saddles from a guy at a fishing show. $2.50 each and I regret not buying everyone he had. Finding nice, dyed grizzly saddles at a reasonable price seems like an increasing challenge.

Feather Emporium would be my first call though. Then Ebay.

Large schlappen, streamer saddles, and a few company make special packs just for large predator. Whiting makes a musky pack but they are hard to come by in local shops here so I have to order them online.

I use the Whiting Bugger Packs. You get hackle that is wonderful for both wooly buggers and hackle that is much too big and can be used for the big pike and musky flies. 20 dollars is a little pricey at first but you definitely get what you pay for with them.

Is it true wemon in America are buying up all the bright coloured grizzly rooster sadle feathers to put in their hair? So new trend?

They were. And hackle prices skyrocketed. But I think they are starting to return to normal.

Ok! Maybe why all whiting sadles went through roof couple of years ago here! Maybe i should buy the c&f design turbo spinner before people start filling their hair with dubbing loops & rabbit dubbing to make dredlocks? Maybe stock up on natural colours aswell?:-)

Thanks for the info guys. Now if old man winter would stop snowing I might not have to live at work and have some time to tie. 100 inches of snow and counting.