Fly Tying

My thing is fly tying materials, fly reels, and fly lines. ( though I would like to have an '0'wt rod combo ) I do think that I have learned my lesson on fly lines. I have a new $20 SA WF line and an expensive SA WF line that has a real short front taper and a heavy head with a long rear taper. I have been practicing a quick cast for sight fishing in the salt so I had been using the heavy headed line because I bought it specifically for quick casts. I decided to begin practicing with the cheap line so as not to mess up my expensive line and figured that if I could not cast it as far that was OK and better than messing up the expensive line. I found that I was just as able to cast the 50 to 60' with one back cast with the cheap line as the expensive line. It may be different when I get on the water but I see little if any difference in castability.

I also put a lot of thought in any purchase before I buy so I seldom regret any of my purchases. I have bought 2 rods and matching reels and lines in the last 7 or 8 years and they both were for the salt which I infrequently get to fish and they are both my most expensive outfits I own I have not regrets even though they mostly sit in the corner and seldom leave their tubes.

I like to collect old things like lures and reels, and display them on shelves, etc.

Something else I never got into. I am not a collector. I am not a "fan" of anything. I don't collect paraphernalia of any type.

People around me talk sports, I've no idea what they're going on about.

People around me talk boats, or cars or motorcycles ... I know about them because it's my job. I know exactly how they work. I know exactly how to KEEP them working. But I don't care about which one is faster, or prettier blah, blah, blah.

Talk about fishing ... I am all ears and participation. Talk about specific manufacturers of fishing equipment ... snore.

This is a timely question for me - I am, at this moment, in the preparation stage of the process of building a little wooden rack to hold all of my rod tubes (tired of all of them sliding to the floor when I pull the one I want from its inevitable place on the bottom of the stack that currently leans against a basement wall).

One of the questions I had to answer as I prepared to build was, Do I want this to simply hold the tubes (rods) I already own, or should I include some "empty" holes to accommodate future purchases/builds?

Up until last year, I would have told anyone that asked that I had all the fly rods I would ever need (and then some), that I had built all but two of the ten of them up from blanks myself, and that I liked them all well enough that I saw no need to replace them unless they broke or were stolen.

Then I bought my first Sage.

Now I still like all my old rods a lot, and they all still work really well, but I really, really, REALLY like that Sage. A lot. Enough that the acquisitive part of me (aka my inner child) is thinking that if one Sage is nice, more must be better...

So far I've resisted. Time will tell.

Do I have enough rods? Of course I do, far more than enough, especially when the items in question ALL (even the Sage) amount to toys in the final analysis.

But do I have "enough"? That's a different quesion.

My pal Nielson built a few that are simple and as cheap or as expensive as the wood you choose. I'll email him to post pictures. They hold the rods upright, which would work just fine in a corner. I'd build more space if it were me unless you're convinced you'll never buy another rod in your life. Mine holds nine or ten, and I've got some standing in a corner.

I've got WAY too many rods, most of which are quite good rods. Or should I say I've got a fair amount of rods. I don't see any disadvantage of having too many rods.

I think I'm about bought out on rods, but if I see one I'd like to have at a price I'm willing to spend, I might change my mind.

I use to have way too many rods. Being a rod builder it's just too easy for me to acquire rod after rod after rod and end up with too many. Back about 5 years ago I counted and I had around 35 rods at the time. Problem was I had maybe 5-6 that I used a lot and the rest just sat collecting dust. So I thinned them out. Now I own about 8-10 personal rods and that's it.

Bryon... do you have a plan for your rod holder? I've got one if you're interested. PM me.

FlaFly - I'd like to see that. PM sent. smile.png

Gene L wrote: My pal Nielson built a few that are simple and as cheap or as expensive as the wood you choose. I'll email him to post pictures. They hold the rods upright, which would work just fine in a corner. I'd build more space if it were me unless you're convinced you'll never buy another rod in your life. Mine holds nine or ten, and I've got some standing in a corner.

Gene - I'd like to see your friend's pictures as well -- thanks!

Hi, my name's Nick and I'm rodaholic, reelaholic, and tying materialaholic. I've slowed some these days since I'm not able to use them regularly anymore but collecting has always been in my blood and though I know I should start using fleabay to lighten the load it's just hard for me to do. I am thinking about outfitting all the kids with a good outfit or two, then begin clearing house. Some things, like several bamboo rods and Hardy reels have a limited market due to price and things that are not out of reach of most are hardly worth the effort of selling. I have over 30 outfits ranging from UL to saltwater spinning, light to heavy trolling casting, 3wt. to 10wt fly outfits, with about a dozen bamboo from modern builders to antiques.

One of my big fears as I get closer to the light at the end of the tunnel is that wife will start selling my stuff at the prices I told her I paid for them. (credit to unknown author)

i used to be the ultimate gear head. fishing, alpine skiing, and bicycles.

i had a rod for every occasion (spin, fly, center pin), a whole quiver of skis (slalom, groomer, big mountain), and a beautiful stable of bikes: beater, fixed gear, (mountain (hard/soft tails), and a light as a feather road bike. the mountain and road bikes were racing stock. i won't even get into what was in the tying dungeon.

after the '06 crash, most of it was gone, including our vehicle. i kept my 3,6,8 wt rods, reels and lines, what tied flies that i had, and a beater bike.

with the help of a few friends i was able to get back into tying last year. my tying stock has increased slowly with every dollar wisely spent. back in the day it would have been a $$$ trip to the store just for a flyswap, and then horde the rest of the materials, for a style or type of fly that i didn't even fish!

it sucked to lose some of that stuff more than other stuff; no lie. but in the end it all worked out ok. the skis that i bought for a B.C. trip and the fully suspension mountain bike that never saw dirt; i could do without.

now the Mark Petitjean Magic Tool i had is a different story. sure do miss my Brodie Spark; sniff, sniff. lol