Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

Good buy on articulated streamer supplies

Just thought I'd share that Fytyingbargains.com (part of Fly Tyer's Dungeon) has their "Fish Joints" on sale--these appear to be very similar to the ones used for tying the Game Changer and similar articulated flies, at a considerable discount over the name-brand ones (I forget who makes them).

http://www.flytyingbargains.com/FlyTyingBargains3.htm

Glad to do it--found it totally by accident. :) They're out of one size but I ordered 20 each of the other 3 sizes they offer and the total bill came to less than $10, shipping included. Can't beat that.

Problem with those Bob versus the "good" ones is the big loop goes all the way to the front of the shaft. The ones I have just have a tight loop and then parallel the shaft up to the front with another tight loop. This lets you tie on a single shaft like a hook shank. The ones you link would be kind of clumsy to tie on IMO. I'm often wrong but I know that I'd have problems with the thread sliding down and getting material to stay in place with the set up they have. Just an opinion of course but I'll stick with the extra cost of the Fish-Skull brand.

I agree with Vic. These ...

Give you a lot better tying situation than ...

I love FTD ... but these, I'd have to give a pass on. They look like the clips you get on temporary visitor's passes.

how would you know they wont work if you have never used them? just a little skeptical of product reviews from tyers that havent actually used a product

they CAN be tied on? could be used to provide a wider profile?

No way would i try & ty on those, they are what i have on the end of my bite wire for changing pike flies quickly! But for that purpose & that price, why not buy some!

Flytire,

The issue I see is the gaps.

Unless you fill them with epoxy or something, these areas are unusable. Thread will not pull the wires together unless you could put large amounts of tension on it. If the area is not filled, nor the wires pulled together, any material in those gaps will just fall out. Thread wrapped from wire to wire will not hold anything in there.

On the other hand, this ...

Is much more suitable.

Problem i see is slippage, would need a lot of super glue in your first thread wraps & still end up with a sideways eye at the front of the fly!

i'm a huge fan of FTD as well; but these are a bust as far as i can tell for all the reasons stated. PLUS the loops are on the same plane, instead of at a 90 deg offset.

I just use 100 lb braided line and works awesome

How do you tie on braided line?

I use braid to join two hooks on those kinds of flies, but I don't understand how you tie on pieces of braid to make a jointed minnow?

Fisherboy, I've actually done that with doubled braid in tying a couple of Intruder flies one time. I've also stretched Z-lon between vises to wrap it with thread to make Dandelion Flies.

lure_zpse334fbf6.jpg

I just use 100 lb braided line and works awesome

How do you tie on braided line?

I use braid to join two hooks on those kinds of flies, but I don't understand how you tie on pieces of braid to make a jointed minnow?

Using braided line give you the ultimate in articulation and at virtually no cost. Here is a SBS for one style of streamer, but the principle is the same for any. You can even spin deer hair on braided line. It makes an awesome sculpin or Game Changer.

http://www.indyflycasters.com/limprichard.htm